Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avalanche ... bet it makes a great dive truck , the way It's configured in back, perfect for wet , sandy gear ... heck you could even rinse the gear off back there :14:

DB

When I go diving I just want to dive...
For the dive you could be a greeneyed monster from outer space for all I care (as long as you know how to dive well)...So how do you find out if your potential buddy dives well (according to your definition of well)? You go diving!
It´s as simple as that!

That really is what I look for in a buddy most...
If a buddies airconsumption means that my dive is cut short 5/10 mins, so what? Having said that I prefer dives to be in the 45/60 min range so if someone is consistantly "overbreathing" a discussion about tank sizing is propably enough to take care of the problem...

If I feel I have to "audition" to become someones dive buddy, I´ll just whish them the best and send them on their merry way...male or female...I dive to have fun, I have enough demands/pressure above the surface...anyone who tries to introduce that below will be sent packing...

I´m amazed at the number of people volounteering to dive with you Gidds, based on the way you´ve expressed yourself in this thread I for one wouldn´t want to dive with you...maybe I´ve got the wrong impression and living across the atlantic it propably wouldn´t have happened anyway but I´m just saying...maybe your attitude is part of the problems you´re having finding buddies...

YMMV

nessum:
Ok, I'll bite, Hank.

So... the morals are: Women can be gear-heads too. Women can dive spectacular cold-water environments, too. And men can make good dive buddies, believe it or not.

Clear water is the key there. My hat is off to all those who dive those murky quarries. They love diving more than I do. I mean, it's like doing a treadmill in a closet by candle light vs hiking the Sierra Nevadas.
Gear head women...I love em. My amor can fix things better than I.

Thank you everybody for your replies and different views of the subject. I actually have some buddies now :D Yes they are guys and no they're not my age but they want to look at the fishes with me so I'll get over it. I am definately not a gear head but I love gadgets and toys associated with scuba and I happen to like diving up here in the cold water because there are plenty of critters to see even if they are not brightly colored :wink: If folks don't want to dive with me because they don't care for my snorkel requirement and don't want to answer my questions that's probably a good thing because the kind of diving I do is very slow-paced looking for small animals and is basically snorkelling at depth. I also want to dive for fun and I do not want to waste my time underwater wondering "is this cowbody gonna get one or both of us killed?". While I am confident that I can get myself out of some pretty hairy situations underwater I know I can't get out of all of them without assistance which is the whole point of having a buddy in the first place. If I am not fairly comfortable with somebody above the water there is no way in heck I am going diving with them. Some of you folks said "well I'll dive with anybody once" which may work for you but it's just too cavelier for me and I think it'd be asking for trouble. I'm not sure what "bad attitude" I'm exhibiting other than I do have trust issues with males and I'm downright afraid of a number of them especially if they're bigger than me. For this reason I don't see why I shouldn't be extremely cautious about choosing my male buddies especially if they are people I meet on the Internet.

grazie42:
When I go diving I just want to dive...
For the dive you could be a greeneyed monster from outer space for all I care (as long as you know how to dive well)...So how do you find out if your potential buddy dives well (according to your definition of well)? You go diving!
It´s as simple as that!

That really is what I look for in a buddy most...
If a buddies airconsumption means that my dive is cut short 5/10 mins, so what? Having said that I prefer dives to be in the 45/60 min range so if someone is consistantly "overbreathing" a discussion about tank sizing is propably enough to take care of the problem...

If I feel I have to "audition" to become someones dive buddy, I´ll just whish them the best and send them on their merry way...male or female...I dive to have fun, I have enough demands/pressure above the surface...anyone who tries to introduce that below will be sent packing...

I´m amazed at the number of people volounteering to dive with you Gidds, based on the way you´ve expressed yourself in this thread I for one wouldn´t want to dive with you...maybe I´ve got the wrong impression and living across the atlantic it propably wouldn´t have happened anyway but I´m just saying...maybe your attitude is part of the problems you´re having finding buddies...

YMMV

I'm not sure exactly what about her comments has turned you off, but I "audition" people to some extent. I'll go jump in the local quarry with just about anybody, but if we're doing deep wrecks in the Great Lakes I want to know I'm with a competent diver.

Not having to worry about my buddy killing me or themself reduces stress underwater, IMHO.

I see you're a tech diver - don't you check your dive buddies out????!!!!!

I agree on the chivalry thing too. Save it! While it is nice of you to offer getting huffy when I say I can carry it kind of defies the point of being chivalrous doesn't it? It may take me longer to lug my gear around but if I can't do it myself there is not much point in me diving. If you want to give me a tip or a trick that would make it less of a struggle for me that is very much appreciated :wink:

Gidds:
If you want to give me a tip or a trick that would make it less of a struggle for me that is very much appreciated :wink:

Bowflex?

Hey Gidds-

I admit that I'm coming into this thread a little late...But I'm out here diving the colder waters of Monterey with both guys and gals. I must say I have more lady dive buddies here! Most of us are gear junkies/divemaster or instructors/drysuit divers. We have a dive club just for us. That's not to say we don't dive with the guys. My best buddy is my hubby. Between us we have about 25 years in the industry (both of us are instructors)... I won't carry his doubles and he won't carry mine! I tend to be cautious about HOW I dive more than who I dive with, I do a mini-checkout dive with anyone that I haven't been in the water with before just to make sure we are on the same page.

I hope this helps-
Happy Diving!

Hank49:

LOL. I meant like: "Hey if you carry it this way it'll be easier"

Back
Top Bottom