Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not describing a frog kick at all :wink: In a skull knees are kept stiff. A human frog kick still doesn't look anything like a frog frog kick. Thanks for clarifying that for me :)

I'm not gonna rock the boat. Just doesn't look "froggy" to me. Whatever works :wink:

Both the proper frog kick and modified frog kick videos seem unnatural to me. Are they difficult to do or to do for a long time?

I find sculling, like the way Gidds described, easy to do, although I only tend to scull for short periods, like when inside a wreck or close to the bottom. And contrary to some opinions, I find sculling with split fins no problem at all!

Ayisha:
Both the proper frog kick and modified frog kick videos seem unnatural to me. Are they difficult to do or to do for a long time?

I find sculling, like the way Gidds described, easy to do, although I only tend to scull for short periods, like when inside a wreck or close to the bottom. And contrary to some opinions, I find sculling with split fins no problem at all!

Have you ever swum the breaststroke? The kick is pretty similar.

They take a bit of getting used to, but once you're used to them they're very natural feeling.

It's actually less tiring than a flutter kick once you start doing it the... correct way, you can move quickly, you'll never stir up the bottom, and it's easier on the legs since you never have to pull them back up into position.

I guess I wasn´t very clear either...when I said frogkick I was being sloppy...I call all "frogkick derivatives" frogkick...In reallife I only frogkick in highcurrent situations, the rest of the time my legs are (mostly :D ) 90degree horisontal-vertical and I do small "frog-flicks" with my fins...many times I cant even remember having actually "kicked" at all during a dive...the flicks are so small, effortless and "automatic" that I only pay attention when I go in reverse (work in progress :D )

Originally Posted by nitroxbabe :
A friend of mine (who shall of course remain nameless) rototilled massively on the top deck of a wreck with me this summer. I showed him what he'd done. Then just last week he and a guy we call "pig pen" completely silted out another wreck and almost didn't find their way back to the boat. Sure glad it wasn't me with those two... of course, I wouldn't even have gone into the area that they did...
You actually call someone "pigpen" to their face? I can see why you´re not to big on being PC :wink:
I guess my argument for diving with someone like that is that at least you are AHEAD of the siltcloud instead of behind it...I don´t want to get all boring and go on about how (if non-recreational) the diver shouldn´t even be on the boat in the first place, for everyoneelses but mostly for his own sake...Anyone who silts things out so bad that they almost get lost themselves ( :11: ) and DOESEN´T reconsider the way they dive...well there´s really nothing polite I could say about that...

grazie42:
I guess I wasn´t very clear either...when I said frogkick I was being sloppy...I call all "frogkick derivatives" frogkick...In reallife I only frogkick in highcurrent situations, the rest of the time my legs are (mostly :D ) 90degree horisontal-vertical and I do small "frog-flicks" with my fins...many times I cant even remember having actually "kicked" at all during a dive...the flicks are so small, effortless and "automatic" that I only pay attention when I go in reverse (work in progress :D )

You actually call someone "pigpen" to their face? I can see why you´re not to big on being PC :wink:
I guess my argument for diving with someone like that is that at least you are AHEAD of the siltcloud instead of behind it...I don´t want to get all boring and go on about how (if non-recreational) the diver shouldn´t even be on the boat in the first place, for everyoneelses but mostly for his own sake...Anyone who silts things out so bad that they almost get lost themselves ( :11: ) and DOESEN´T reconsider the way they dive...well there´s really nothing polite I could say about that...

LOL

Actually he sort of named himself "pig pen" - he takes a perverse pride in it.... he smiles when we call him that...

But at any rate, I don't think he or the other Nameless One will do that sort of crap again. Several people have had very concerned conversations with these two, myself included...

And yep, it's pretty dang hard to reverse frog kick, isn't it? Yikes... I still don't have that one down pat either. Think I need some stumpy little fins to really get the hang of that...

And yes, there are often people on the boat who shouldn't be there. Now I'll go ahead and be the boring one and say it again: I'm going to audition 'em.

I'm a newbie. There, that should set the stage so I won't get flayed.

My wife and I are still doing the OW classes, and I'm the only male in a class of six and it's just great. There's no showboating, fin pullig, etc, and my wife has become even more comfortable as she is already bonding with the other female students.

I used to specialize in teaching outdoor skills (huntung, camping fly fishing etc) and as an instructor I prefer to teach women as they are generally more attentive, ask questions when they dont know something (instead of trying to bluff through), and tend to appreciate what they are learning more than the men I have taught. As a student, I fnd the same thing. The women in my class are great to work with. (BTW I'm not the "macho" type, so maybe that helps a bit in these types of situations.)

Anyway my wife and I buddy up on the course and will probably continue through most of our diving, but I like the fact that she has met four other women that she can dive with and now that she's seen just what diving is about, I doubt that she would have a probelm with me diving without her where my dive buddy is female.

I do have one question that I'd really like to get a answer to:

I'm not so sure that having my primary dive buddy (the one who I'm placing my life in their hands), being the beneficiary of my life insurance policy.... :D

Oh and as to the "helping" with the equipment, I have already gotten flack from one of the other students for "making" my wife lug her own gear arround. I always maintained that if you can carry your own gear, it's time to find something else to do.

Cheers!

If you're injured or disabled it's one thing but if a diver can't carry his or her own gear. Well, maybe it's time to try a different sport. Unless you are trying to show off in hopes of getting lucky. But that usually results in getting overtired and repeatedly hit and berated by one's girlfriend. Or worse if your wife happens to be there when your girlfriend goes off on you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom