Macro Dive Trip April or April/May ‘24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorraine Mooney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thoughts on suggestions for Macro / Muck diving in April or April / May ‘24? Approximately 10/12 days of diving.
Been to Tulamben in July ‘23 wouldn't mind returning.
Been to Bangka in August ‘23
Been to Lembeh in August ‘23 wouldn’t mind returning
Been to Anilao January’23 wouldn’t mind returning.
I am keen to hear thoughts on usual conditions in April/ May and creatures that could be found. If I were to return to the places I have been last summer, how likely would there be different species?
I like to take photos.
Don’t need luxury, but I like a private bathroom.
Thanks in advance for suggestions!

I am in the same boat.
Planning a 10 day trip and considering either returning to Bali, Anilao, or Sulawesi. I enjoyed them all.
Or I am considering going to Alor instead.
Would be ironic if we ended up diving together.

I am in the same boat.
Planning a 10 day trip and considering either returning to Bali, Anilao, or Sulawesi. I enjoyed them all.
Or I am considering going to Alor instead.
Would be ironic if we ended up diving together.
I am thinking on Alor perhaps later in the year. Ambon is a possibility for spring time I guess. Yes, it’s a small world, you never know!

We dove in Ambon at Spice Island Divers. It was nice. If trash bothers you that could be a problem because garbage removal on Ambon is not good but we really enjoyed the diving and the resort was great. You could split your trip between Bali and Ambon. Sounds fun to me!

Keep the travel logistics easy, lots of good dive operators and resorts, good food options, topside options...it's Amed. If you've dived Tulamben and not Amed, then I'd recommend Amed. Lots of great macro and reefs and walls too. I dive with Dream Divers Bali, a small locally owned shops. If you are a macro fanatic, I'd recco Bintan Divers and Blenk as your dive guide. Enak Bungalows is a nice guesthouse and one of the best restos in town.

Reactions: CWK
Thoughts on suggestions for Macro / Muck diving in April or April / May ‘24? Approximately 10/12 days of diving.
Been to Tulamben in July ‘23 wouldn't mind returning.
Been to Bangka in August ‘23
Been to Lembeh in August ‘23 wouldn’t mind returning
Been to Anilao January’23 wouldn’t mind returning.
I am keen to hear thoughts on usual conditions in April/ May and creatures that could be found. If I were to return to the places I have been last summer, how likely would there be different species?
I like to take photos.
Don’t need luxury, but I like a private bathroom.
Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Many people have the impression that actually August is the richest month for creatures in Lembeh. And August also offers much cooler water temperatures and very little rain. However, August 2023 brought much more rainfall the first two weeks, and hardly any lower temperatures, as far as I recall. I really do not think there are any hard data about which months are offering more diversity. There are only many personal anecdotes instead. That is why we are very careful to give any predictions.

I really really enjoyed Ambon, and met one of its super super rare psychedelic frog fish in 2019. For sure it’s very very messy, but the macro is awesome. Alor is definitely better again.

I really really enjoyed Ambon, and met one of its super super rare psychedelic frog fish in 2019. For sure it’s very very messy, but the macro is awesome. A lot is definitely better again.

Not to name and shame but it looks like only Spice Island offers diving in Ambon and this was their quote in August of 2023 based thier 2023-2024 price list:

8 N/ 23 Day-dive + 7 Night dive. Single - GARDEN. Nitrox Complimentary1$4,060.00$4,060.00
Airport Transfer & Unlimited-Unguided Shore Dive - FOC$0.00
Subtotal$4,060.00

Not to name and shame but it looks like only Spice Island offers diving in Ambon and this was their quote in August of 2023 based thier 2023-2024 price list:

8 N/ 23 Day-dive + 7 Night dive. Single - GARDEN. Nitrox Complimentary1$4,060.00$4,060.00
Airport Transfer & Unlimited-Unguided Shore Dive - FOC$0.00
Subtotal$4,060.00
Throw in at least another $2000-$3000 for flights...but it comes with unlimited unguided shore dives during your stay!

Keep the travel logistics easy, lots of good dive operators and resorts, good food options, topside options...it's Amed. If you've dived Tulamben and not Amed, then I'd recommend Amed. Lots of great macro and reefs and walls too. I dive with Dream Divers Bali, a small locally owned shops. If you are a macro fanatic, I'd recco Bintan Divers and Blenk as your dive guide. Enak Bungalows is a nice guesthouse and one of the best restos in town

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom