Macro Dive Trip April or April/May ‘24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agrée regarding keeping the travel logistics simple….I didn’t dive Amed last year as the conditions weren’t great there, so maybe it’s worth a shot. Am still mulling things over!

Many people have the impression that actually August is the richest month for creatures in Lembeh. And August also offers much cooler water temperatures and very little rain. However, August 2023 brought much more rainfall the first two weeks, and hardly any lower temperatures, as far as I recall. I really do not think there are any hard data about which months are offering more diversity. There are only many personal anecdotes instead. That is why we are very careful to give any predictions.
Hey Rob! It’s me Lorraine from last year! We’ve been in touch since I posted!

Throw in at least another $2000-$3000 for flights...but it comes with unlimited unguided shore dives during your stay!

I just looked at my invoice and we paid $2282 fir 4N 11 dives so that boxes. The airfare is the airfare no matter where you go and the diving and food and accommodations at Spice Island were well worth the price. You can also get a massage for about $30 for an hour. I'd do it again.

For those who have been longing for a proper dive operation in Ambon since DIA closed , without willing to pay a stratospheric price like Spice divers, I've had news that the new Ambon dive resort has now opened since end of 2023, on the opposite side of the bay Latuhalat side.

It's a french owned operation, the franco-Indonesian managers have been working for a year at Alor Divers, (that's where I met them) they had time to dive for years around Ambon since they were building the resort.
I have no whatsoever interest in their operation and not been there myself, just passing the info for a midmarket alternative.
About 200€/night pp full board + unlimited diving included

check out here : The resort - Ambon Dive Resort

For those who have been longing for a proper dive operation in Ambon since DIA closed , without willing to pay a stratospheric price like Spice divers, I've had news that the new Ambon dive resort has now opened since end of 2023, on the opposite side of the bay Latuhalat side.

It's a french owned operation, the franco-Indonesian managers have been working for a year at Alor Divers, (that's where I met them) they had time to dive for years around Ambon since they were building the resort.
I have no whatsoever interest in their operation and not been there myself, just passing the info for a midmarket alternative.

How would you compare Lembeh (if you've been) with Ambon? It's quite a bit more of a haul to get to Ambon (and more expensive). Is it worth it?

Whoa! This is exciting. Gonna check this out as I love me some Ambon.

I just looked, and their prices are way high, too. Unless I am reading things wrong, 4 nights and unlimited diving, single supplement, 9 nitrox fills works out to 16,500.000 IDR. That's way more than I spent at Spice Island a year ago (see attached). Granted they gave me a solid deal...but this new place does not seem very midmarket at all.

That's too bad. I really miss Dive Into Ambon. They were good people and had a solid operation.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 08.06.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 08.06.31.png
    98 KB · Views: 20
Unless I am reading things wrong, 4 nights and unlimited diving, single supplement, 9 nitrox fills works out to 16,500.000 IDR.
Yes you're right, the single supplement and the Nx fills are killing you.
That said if you compare for instance to Tulamben where unlimited diving would go for 120eur it leaves 80-100 eur for accom and full board.
Not cheap but still mid market when comparing to Raja Ampat and even many Lembeh operations.

I was comparing to what some of the other posters mentioned above, its halfprice to Spice island!
example
Not to name and shame but it looks like only Spice Island offers diving in Ambon and this was their quote in August of 2023 based thier 2023-2024 price list:

8 N/ 23 Day-dive + 7 Night dive. Single - GARDEN. Nitrox Complimentary1$4,060.00$4,060.00
Airport Transfer & Unlimited-Unguided Shore Dive - FOC$0.00
Subtotal$4,060.00

How would you compare Lembeh (if you've been) with Ambon? It's quite a bit more of a haul to get to Ambon (and more expensive). Is it worth it?
I used to like Ambon very much because you can couple muck in the bay with blue water, coral dives on the sides of the island. You could also stay on some of the sandy Lease islands nearby, but that's over now. It's also a step to the mythical Banda islands.
That said I stopped going there with a non diver bcause of the lack of comfortable options.
Go there in february/march for the gandaria fruit.

Yes you're right, the single supplement and the Nx fills are killing you.
That said if you compare for instance to Tulamben where unlimited diving would go for 120eur it leaves 80-100 eur for accom and full board.
Not cheap but still mid market when comparing to Raja Ampat and even many Lembeh operations.
4 nights and 11 dives with nitrox at Liberty Dive w/ breakfast is about 7.500.000. Add 1.5 million for transport there and back, and one is well under 10 million. One still has to buy lunch and dinner, but you get the idea. That's a heck of a deal for world-class muck diving in a super nice resort.

Ambon frustrates me because I love diving there so much. The dive "resorts" are not hours from supplies by boat but an easy 15-minute drive to an actual city. Heck, the roads are some of the best around, thanks to the large military base there. The dive sites in the bay are super close, too. Add in the everpresent trash and a limited clientele who will tolerate such for great muck diving, I just do not get why operators think that justifies near Raja Ampat prices.

FWIW- I somehow think that Spice Island quotation is a mistake...at least I hope it is. I had a GREAT time with them last year and all of their staff were awesome. I would not hesitate to recommend them if their prices have truly not gone off the deep end.

Back
Top Bottom