Macro lens for C5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maractwin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a C-5050 in the PT-015 with INON D-180 strobe. I've been using this setup for a year and am pretty happy with it. But I'd like to be able to take better macro pictures. Ideally be able to fill the frame with something under an inch long.

Regular mode will not zoom in close enough. I've tried super macro mode just a little bit, but found it difficult to work with underwater and am not sure if I wasn't using it right, or if it doesn't really solve this problem. How close to a subject should I be underwater to get maximum magnification with super macro mode?

What macro lens would you add to this setup to be able to more easily shoot tiny critters? How small a subject can you fill the frame with? How far from the subject do you need to be for the best shot? Do you get any depth of field with this?

I'm off to Fiji just after Christmas and want to be able to try this out.

-Mark

Aloha Mark. I have trouble using the super macro too - where as nick is the master of it. I'm sure that you can ask him for some pointers on how it use it right.

As for a macro lens some people even use two at a time. You might want to check out whats available...I think most have the 165

Lost of information on using the macro lens adapter here: http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=567

Using one macro lens adapter won't give you any more magnification than you can get from the c5050, it simply makes it possible to achieve the same magnification from further away and allows for full use of the camera's flash (or strobe).

For additional magnification, you need to stack two adapters and it's very tricky to get images in focus because the depth of field is so shallow.

You can click on one of the links below my signature to see some of the macro images that I have taken with my Oly c5050 + macro adapter.

BTW buy the Inon 165 instead of the Oly adapter. You can't stack the Oly with another Oly.

Jim (jlyle)

Go with the Inon 165 macros...get two - it's tricky at first, but so worth it.

Here's a shot with the stacked 165s:
8823P8190307_C.jpg

And here's a recent one using SuperMacro - I have only just started using this and now that I have a couple of ideas it is getting a bit easier!
8823coi_skirtup.jpg

Sorry they are both nudibranchs...you can shoot lots of other critters etc with them, these are just the first two to pop up from my gallery!

Wait...knew I had something else from SuperMacro:
8823frog_sm1b.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom