Madeira Beach, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not possible CO would cause both, since first victim was snorkeling. Most likely not CO at all, but two separate medical incidences. Must again wait for ME report.

Co exposure does not require a transfusion. It is treated with oxygen. If it is really severe you could go to hyperbaric oxygen to get more than 100%

... If it is really severe you could go to hyperbaric oxygen to get more than 100%

You are thinking of a landside CO poisoning. When diving you haven't factored in the change in PPO2 with CO. If the CO dive hit is severe, you'll probably never make it to the chamber in time because the CO won't release from the hemoglobin.

Buy a CO analyzer and test every tank you dive.

Hetland said co poisoning would require a transfusion. Never saw this or heard of it while spending 40 years in a hospital. If the patient is alive oxygen is the trestment, not a transfusion. co has 200 times the affinity to hemoglobin that oxygen has. Get enough oxygen in the blood stream it will replace the co eventually. hyperbaric oxygen will get you more than 100% at one atmosphere.

For those that test for CO, what level of CO would you accept (ppm)?

Last edited:
For those that test for CO, what level of CO would you accept (ppm)?
The legal max in the US is 10ppm or 0.001%, but some countries limit that to 3ppm - and I'd be giving my dive op grief if I saw 3. And I have forced a boat to turn around before.

In tracing the source of CO, I found this interesting website: Gas Toxicity During Diving - Injuries and Poisoning - Merck Manuals Consumer Version

Carbon monoxide is a product of combustion. Carbon monoxide can enter a diver’s air if the air compressor intake valve is placed too close to engine exhaust or if the lubricating oil in a malfunctioning compressor becomes hot enough to partially combust, producing carbon monoxide.

Symptoms include nausea, headache, weakness, clumsiness, and confusion. Severe cases of carbon monoxide poisoning can cause seizures, loss of consciousness, or coma. Diagnosis is with a blood test. As time passes, the results become less accurate, so the test should be done as soon as possible. The diver’s air supply can also be tested for carbon monoxide.

high-pressure oxygen therapyin a hyperbaric chamber, available at certain medical centers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom