Maglight brand flashlight any good at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabine_john

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the "water resistant" brandname “Maglights” will work at depth, 25meters or any? I’m talking about the smaller AA and AAA battery units. I even have a D cell version but think it's too bulky to take.
thanks in advance!
I added a question below...

sabine_john:
Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the "water resistant" brandname “Maglights” will work at depth, 25meters or any? I’m talking about the smaller AA and AAA battery units. I even have a D cell version but think it's too bulky to take.
thanks in advance!
It won't work. water resistant is not water proof.

The main problem you will have with the big maglites is that the button will leak. I used a maglite to make my dive light, and had to cut the handle in two to remove the button. The lens that comes with them is plastic but the glass lenses from the rechargeables will drop right in. The glass lenses are thicker and the head will need to be modified if you want to screw the bezel all the way down.

I haven't tried a small maglite, but it might work since it doesn't have a button in the side. It only has one o-ring between the head and handle where I would prefer to see two, but it might be worth a try. They also have a nice big lip seal in the end cap instead of a normal o-ring.

-Tiny-B.

many, many thanks!
since I've got your attention here... and me being such a newbie... um...
does a land camera work inside a good quality name brand freezer ziplock bag?
(feel free to laugh it up... but I gotta know) or find out on my own..
:)

sabine_john:
many, many thanks!
Maybe for about 5 ft

sabine_john:
many, many thanks!

The pressure would crush the camera. Remember that the camera is most likely airtight, or at least sealed pretty well to keep the light out, this means that there is trapped air inside the camera and without a way to equalize the pressure or put the camera in a hard housing the pressure will crush it at more then 10 to 15 feet.

The small maglites work at 50' for sure...I've used them! I haven't had them any deeper though? I don't have a proper dive light for myself yet, and have been taking along that little maglite for shining into cracks and such. It works well, but requires two-handed operation (you must twist it on and off and to focus the beam)

I went on my first night dive on Wed and learned many lessons.
First, I need to grow another arm or two! Wow. Many things to be doing down there. You certainly do not need to be messing with a light with both of your hands. (I guess all focussing beam lights need both hands to focus...or do they? Is there any lights that can be focussed with one hand? Perhaps a thumb dial or something similar. Any equipment manufacturers listening in??

sabine_john:
many, many thanks!

the water pressure would also push the shutter button and not let it release. So you get a picture at whatever depth of what every the camera is pointed at and nothing else.

One of my dive buddies once took a bigger mag-lite down for a short dive in a lake averaging 30 feet. Except for it being heavy, there weren't any problems. No leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom