Maglight brand flashlight any good at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My maglight is a AA, it has a O-ring at each end where you put in the batterys and a O-ring at the lighthead. The button is at the end where you enter the battery and SEEMS to be water tight.

While the mag-light design seems like it should hold up underwater, my experience is that it does not stay water-proof. I was on a kayaking trip and the flashlight got dunked a few times. The light got flooded and I was left without light during the trip.

Now imagine reaching for your backup light at 60ft and it doesn't turn on.

hantzu701:
While the mag-light design seems like it should hold up underwater, my experience is that it does not stay water-proof. I was on a kayaking trip and the flashlight got dunked a few times. The light got flooded and I was left without light during the trip.
I had almost that exact problem... with a Princeton Tec dive light. It was old and grit got in the o-ring I suppose. Fortunately I had a non-dive rated (but weather-resistant) headlamp with me that survived the dunkings just fine.

I figure if the light's got o-rings and is kept clean, it should be watertight at least in shallow water.

archman:
I had almost that exact problem... with a Princeton Tec dive light. It was old and grit got in the o-ring I suppose. Fortunately I had a non-dive rated (but weather-resistant) headlamp with me that survived the dunkings just fine.

I figure if the light's got o-rings and is kept clean, it should be watertight at least in shallow water.

I agree.. even a little grit of sand will foil a "waterproof" light... however.. this was a new maglight... almost indestructable... except in a puddle of salt water..

Pelican lights that say waterproof work pretty good.

Remember, there's no such word as "watertight" in the commercial vocabulary. They'll all say "water resistant to...____ depth". I think it's a legal scruple the manufacturers must adhere to. You can throw out "watertight" and "waterproof" only loosely for marketing purposes.

I've seen one mag-lite used on an actual dive and several others dunked. Haven't seen one leak yet. I occasionally see other non-dive lights used in diving capacities too. Stuff made for military or civil use is pretty "watertight". I guess they're okay for at least shallow stuff, but I wouldn't recommend them as primaries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom