Magnetic Hose Clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I just picked up a magnetic hose clip which I had planned on attaching to my console. I tried it out and realized it was interfering with the compass on the console. I then figured I would use it for my octo. It didn't seem to cause a problem but I do have worries. Plus, one half of the clip is to be attached to the octo hose. I'm not to sure if there would be a problem having my compass and the very powerful magnet it the same regulator bag for extended times. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jim

A magnet will not permanently alter a compass, it's just a temporary effect when it's close enough that it has more influence than the magnetic north pole of the earth.

That much being said, magnets on gear and compasses do not mix. You could have some serious navigation issues as a result, there are better options.

A magnet will not permanently alter a compass, it's just a temporary effect when it's close enough that it has more influence than the magnetic north pole of the earth.

That much being said, magnets on gear and compasses do not mix. You could have some serious navigation issues as a result, there are better options.

I beg to differ, somewhat. It could remagnetize the compass if it repeatedly shaken. But that seems unlikely.

- Bill

My biggest complaint about magnetic retainers is they load up with bits of rusty iron particles during wreck dives. I'm experimenting with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AG49WOU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a mechanical snap... sort of similar to a quick-disconnect on a power inflator or drysuit except without a sliding collar. The jury is still out but it is encouraging.

I had one of those. The internal spring clips began to rust. Maybe rinsing more often would have helped

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom