Mail order vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly agree that you do need to support your LDS, but the Mask example you cited is very true with most LDS and is unfortunate where the gear is almost marked up by 100%. $50 Mask you found online is even if marked up my 20% should not cost you more then $60 is fairly reasonable, but that is not the case.

I have lived in Dallas and I have purchased few things from my LDS, but I would say if you are buying online Scubatoys is the place to be no fine prints and they will do everything for you sometimes even going out of the way.
Fortunately for pl of Dallas its easy they can just drive to their store and pick up whatever they need.

After reading quite a bit here, I jumped in with both fins and bought a new BC from LP. There was one issue with what was included with the BC. I contacted LP and ScubaBoard member Leisure Pro Brett and they quickly researched the item and have now sent me the additional item. Needless to say, I was impressed and will shop with them without hesitation. In my final analysis, the warranty concerns that some have mentioned just don't matter on most items.

Some of live in areas where the LDS is just plain out of touch with their pricing. I've seen BCs that list for $550 being sold for $650 in the LDS, while LP has it for $450. On the more expensive items, shipping is less than tax, so that's a wash.

I used to be of the mindset that I would only shop locally, be it firearms, motocross gear and parts, bicycle parts or scuba gear. After driving around town only to find nothing in stock too many times, I've decided that times have changed. Deliver it to my door. I know that some will find this view unpopular, but so be it.

If you know what you want, whether it is SCUBA, electronics, books, climbing, clothes, etc, unless you are friends with or related to the shop owner, there is no reason to get hosed by paying in person.

If you need the one on one experience then pay for the commissions, rent, salaries, utilities, etc, but with oil at 150+/barrel, I'll save my money and buy everything online.

Make sure the online store has a good return policy, good ratings at Compare Prices, Store Reviews and Ratings by Real People and then save yourself 20-50 percent for your next dive trip.

Remember, just because you aren't talking to a real person in person doesn't meant there isn't one online who has a mortgage and kids just like the guys at your LDS.

This is a n00b (of scuba) perspective. If you dedicate a fair amount of time to research of products and also get a good sense of your needs/wants, you'll most likely fare better online than local anything (regardless whether its a dive shop, bike shop, etc) even if you occasionally have to return or exchange the product(s).

I've been cycling (either mountain biking and/or road) for a good 20 years now. The only time I ever bought a bike at a LBS (local bike shop) was my first bike, which I ended up selling within months since I developed a better sense of my needs/wants and did more research. Upon which, I realized the amazing cost savings for some higher end products, whether it be a full bike or just components, parts, accessories, or clothing.

I feel the same with scuba. I signed up for a cert course, which begins very soon. Regrettably, I needed the basic equipment (mask, fins, boots, and snorkel) in short order. I am a new to this sport and really have no experience (aside from a couple of resort dives) with equipment and proper fit. So at the mercy of the LDS that is conducting the course, I bought the requisite items.

Sure enough as I stumbled onto this board as well finding time to do some research, the cost of items that I purchased is almost double for some items (e.g. mask) at certain online mail orders.

After some internal debate as well as the feedback on a thread I posted on this board, I am keeping the stuff purchased at the LDS. Rest assured though, any future purchases will most likely be through mail order.

:14:

sadly i was witness to these lds scare tactics this weekend. it is hard to believe in this day and age. such a shame as they give the good lds's a bad name, however, if you fall for it due to your own ignorance, then so be it. LP has been awesome to me and Ben (store mgr.) rocks. He is a master instructor for padi, naui etc... I have taken his every recommendation without regrets and he will be training my wife soon. those that propagate misinformation for greedy purposes will eventually get what they deserve, by going out of business. I'm going to make it a mission to post the names of these lds's as i find them. stay tuned.

Bottom line do your homework before you spend your dough.

scubatoys has got all my money so far and if anything messes up ill just send it back to them shipping isnt that much and the price i cannt beat i got my full set of gear for what i would paid just for a bcd at my lds..."Sport Chalet" i think they are way over priced and not a true dive store but a gen outdoors store

Warranty Information at Scuba.com

Warning: Unauthorized Dealers

heres two links from scuba.com's warranty page. good stuff to know

fun fact #1: online purchase of aqua lung or scuba pro from ANY retailer means no
warranty.

#2: companys sell products they are not autorized to sell.
for expample liesure pro sold dive rite when they werent
authorized there for leaving the customers of those produts
without coverage.

now i know theres a lot of liesure pro loyals out there but i did get this straight from one of there biggest competitor's websites so............ its gotta be true. or at least good for business.:D

Warranty Information at Scuba.com

Warning: Unauthorized Dealers

heres two links from scuba.com's warranty page. good stuff to know

fun fact #1: online purchase of aqua lung or scuba pro from ANY retailer means no
warranty.

#2: companys sell products they are not autorized to sell.
for expample liesure pro sold dive rite when they werent
authorized there for leaving the customers of those produts
without coverage.

now i know theres a lot of liesure pro loyals out there but i did get this straight from one of there biggest competitor's websites so............ its gotta be true. or at least good for business.:D

I think they're trying to make it sound like you'll have NO warranty. Its my understanding that you still Will have a warranty; it just wont be through the manufacturer (will be with vendor).

i plan on a long and involved diving future, so i AM looking for good equipment. yep, i know nitrox and plan on taking a course on it later. what i was really suspicious of was that prices online for like a scubapro bc were a few hundred dollars cheaper than what dive shops were selling it at. also, something simple like a mask at a shop went for $90 compared to online that had it for $50.

see? i'm mostly suspicious of the really big price differences here. i have to buy a lot of equipment, and saving money would be nice, but not at the cost of something i may not be aware of.

Another look @ this situation & I preface this by assuming, as you said, you're going to buy QUALITY stuff......:How much ('additional') money are you talking about for the LDS vs online equipment ???.....I'm going to guess $750 to $1000--if this amount of money is going to make or break you, IMO get it online.........But, if you take into consideration a set of gear(maintained well) will last 15+ years, the average 'additional money' per year is not that great--- I know---my 1st BC lasted 20 years(& it was a Dacor...lol), still using 2 sets of SP & Oceanic regs that are 19 years old that I 'upgraded' in '89, replaced my original 20+ YO fins last year, my original mask went out after about 12 years & am @ the end of my 2nd one(actually have bought 2 more in the last year or so & will replace mask #2 shortly), & still mostly diving original skins from about '92(have bought on sale 2 more pair in the last 4 or 5 years but LOVE my old ones)......

Now, saying all this, when I have replaced stuff in the last few years, I have bought online when prices were VERY good......The other thing to do is talk to a LDS, they may be willing to give you a good deal on a 'package'---won't hurt to ask.......but you're correct, it can be a dilemma........good luck, let us know what you decide.........

Re -
Leisurepro and Aqualung. According to a LDS they buy the European versions of Aqualung products then resell them here. There is no difference in the US versus Euro versions accept that the European versions aren't warrantied even when bought from a LDS in EUROPE. Leisurepro offers a two year warranty itself.

I don't get the quality/service argument either. You pay as much as 25 percent less online and need to have much of this gear serviced at a LDS anyway so you are still getting the maintenance no matter where you buy the gear from, it will be the same item and last as long no matter where you get it from.

I'm new to SCUBA but have been a long term climber/hiker/mountaineer/backpacker/skiing/etc and that gear costs more than SCUBA stuff (I've got ~ 10k in climbing gear alone) and it's the same arguments. A friend of mine applies the term 'FUD' fear, uncertainty, and doubt. I'd add guilt to that if it fit in well. There is no reason to pay extra money unless you like to toss it away. I would have dropped an extra 1000 dollars buying my own and my wife's complete rig in person.

All of your gear should last, research your online shop and save the extra 25 percent for excess baggage fees on your next trip. The only stuff I got in person was wetsuits since it they are a pain to fit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom