Major Freak Out - What should I have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, do yall think recreational divers should even be taken to this dive site? While I understand I am responsible for my own safety, I still think the DM has a responsibility to stay within recreational limits. That being said, for those of you who know Devils Throat, do you consider it to be within recreational limits? Is it really considered just a swim through even though a. There is no real exit for long stretches b. There is no light at all in places c. It is an overhead environment at 130 feet d. There are places where two divers could not fit side by side?

Give yourself some credit, you managed your panic and learned some lessons.

My training was also deficient regarding SMBs. I never properly learned how to use one until I took Fundies, but I recognized that they're important after watching Open Water. :)

I am sorry but hopefully the other divers passed on the knowledge to the DM that you had doubled back or he could have been at serious personnel risk had he gone back through the deep complex searching for you at 110 - 130'. I love diving in Cozumel and average above a hundred dives a year but have always avoided DT because of too many stories like this. Don't get me wrong I love the dark places and spend the majority of my time there, usually alone, but unless the full group is experienced and comfortable diving with each other a deep complex swim through should not be tried with a group with out another DM or experienced diver working with the lead DM as 'drag', specificaly for this type situation. A gaggle of divers of various levels of experience and confidence is dangerous at depth, without semi positive control of both ends of the gaggle. Solo is probably safer.
The 'drag' DM / diver can either make sure everyone makes it through the chamber or lead a troubled diver back out and over to meet up with the group. 25 minutes at those depths and I am sure your DM was in just as great a panic with fear over your safety.

I have done the 'drag' position in a number of other deep or complex swim through situations and it can be like herding cats but I also know how difficult it can be for a single DM when the group starts splitting off (Barracuda can suck for that).

I will not get in the water without a couple of good lights and a SMB, even in daylight a good light can be a great signal devise. Some day I am going to bite the bullet and get an AOW cert.

Really? In OW and AOW I was never taught how to use an SMB and never had it suggested to me to own one. I'm surprised this is considered common knowledge. I have only seen a few other recreational divers carrying one, and they have typically been DM's themselves or rescue divers. I see now that it's a good idea though and I will definitely invest in one and learn to use it.

As far as a light, I use one when I anticipate being in a low-lit area, but I had no reason to think I would that day. I'm used to doing swim throughs without needing one.

I understand that my safety is my responsibility, but had I known more detail about this dive, I would have known that I would not feel comfortable doing it. Note, one of the other divers had been certified just a few days before. I guess I naively assumed a DM wouldn't take that person on an advanced dive. I obviously should not have assumed anything, but that leaves me questioning dive ops...just how much information do I need to gather about a dive site before I agree to it? Or does this speak to my inexperience and I need to hone my skills before diving again? OR Should recreational divers even be allowed to attempt this site?

To be fair, PADI has recently made a change in the last year to introduce the SMB and force you to purchase one which is now included in your kit. I think they've realized which you've discovered that it's not common knowledge. In fact, I need to purchase a flash light which I noticed my DM using to peak inside the coral which was a benefit that I didn't think about and would have never considered but that's what the point of my post. You never thought it would be necessary or had the idea to always carry it because it never came across your mind but you definitely will now.

As far as recreational divers being allowed to test the waters at that depth/site, well it's really your choice. I only had 10 dives on my belt, 6 prior to my most recent one with sharks in the bahamas at depths of 80 ft. I understood I was trained to dive at 60 ft, I understood we'd discover sharks, and anything greater the AOW was definitely encouraged. I made the choice to still dive and was well informed before that the depths would be at least at 80ft and if you go pass the wall that's a whole different discussion. It's the open water, there's no law, and it's really use your best judgement.

So, do yall think recreational divers should even be taken to this dive site? While I understand I am responsible for my own safety, I still think the DM has a responsibility to stay within recreational limits. That being said, for those of you who know Devils Throat, do you consider it to be within recreational limits? Is it really considered just a swim through even though a. There is no real exit for long stretches b. There is no light at all in places c. It is an overhead environment at 130 feet d. There are places where two divers could not fit side by side?

I'm not familiar with the dive site and I can appreciate your concerns. It appears to me that the DM took your group outside your training (and comfort) zone.

Below are the PADI standards for depth or total distance (for penetrating dives).

- Open Water Diver, 60 feet max depth, no overhead penetration

- Advance Open Water, 100 feet max depth, no overhead penetration

- Deep Diver Specialty Rating, 130 feet max depth, no overhead penetration

- Cavern Diver Specialty Rating, 130 feet Max Distance from the surface (vertical and horizontal distance included). Penetration only allowed within the light zone of a cave. Light Zone is a part of the cave from which natural light illuminating from the Entrance is visible AT ALL TIMES. Cavern diving is different from Cave diving. Cave diving is a dive conducted beyond the light zone of a cave and is in the realm of technical diving.

Only a teaching status PADI Specialty Instructor for Deep Diver or Cavern Diver can train and certify a student for the Deep Diver or Cavern Diver Specialty. Not all Open Water Instructors are Specialty Instructors for a specific specialty like Deep or Cavern.

Additionally, the standards require that you dive with at least one visual and audio signaling device (flashlight, SMB, whistle, mirror, etc.)

While I'm sure it's fun and exciting, the dive, since it is outside scope of the divers training, should not have been allowed by the DM/Shop. That it happened, it should have been aborted by the DM when he first noticed that you turned the dive. Apparently he continued the dive with the other divers while you were "missing". On your part, you kept your cool, that's great. It would have been better, however, to signal the DM that you're turning the dive but you indicated that your DM was so much further ahead and out of reach. Also, separation procedures (1 min search and surface) should have been followed by you and the DM, other divers.

What size tank were you diving? 25 minutes on 1100 lb in an AL80 at the entrance to Devils Throat is pretty good! Of coarse, 25 minutes below the entrance of DT is pretty good too. Those guys must have been pretty deep into deco unless they were diving 32% beyond its 1.4PP limit. My wife and I have opted out at the DT entrance twice. Once because we were already too close to deco and once because we were on 32% and I didn't want to test it at 130. Both time we followed the bubbles and came out over the exiting divers. Didn't take 25 minutes though!

scoobajay, could you have tugged on the DM's fins to at least give some warning that you were heading out? Could have been difficult to communicate, but at least he would have noticed something was happening...

I don't know the dive site, but from the description it doesn't sound very suitable for untrained divers.

I think some people are assigning too much blame on the OP. Yes, a diver needs to be responsible for its own safety. And that's what the OP did when deciding that being in that cave was not safe. Furthermore, probably if knowing how the dive was exactly going to be, divers could be better prepared for it or decide straight away not doing it. That was a failing of the DM during the briefing. It was also a failing taking divers into dark passages without telling them to take a light (although I reiterate that if those are in passages where divers need a light and are so narrow that only one at a time can pass, they should not be there).
Also, why did the DM not turn back or ascend upon noticing there was a missing diver?

scoobajay, I think you did well. You turned the dive when you felt uncomfortable and then I understand your indecision about staying there to see if they'd turn back or continuing on the outside and try to meet them without knowing what the DM would do (did he go over the procedure if someone would get lost during the briefing?) or going up and facing the risk from the boats.
Yes, a DSMB is a good thing to have. But only recently being taught by PADI and if divers are not taught, mentored and given chances to practice, they will hardly get one, especially when diving on vacation with the support of a DM. Most of those who did get a DSMB when still at a lower rec level did it because they had some moment where they noticed it would be a good idea. Maybe this was your moment and you'll look into it now :)

And if you like swimthroughs, maybe think of doing a cavern course.

Which course teaches deployment of a dsmb? I want to learn to do it, but haven't been able to identify the relevant course.

That sounds pretty scary. I suspect I would have surfaced rather than spend extended time at 30m+ by myself, but would have been freaking out quite a bit.

These tunnels were a completely inappropriate place to take you, taking a new diver there even if they had been at 15ft was insanely stupid. Risk aside, if you scare a new diver (which isn't hard and this was a setup to scare much more experienced divers) it can be incredibly easy to permanently sour them on diving.
Beware of guides. They want to please the customer and give them a thrill but too many customers don't have their judgement engaged while on vacation.

Beware of guides. They want to please the customer and give them a thrill but too many customers don't have their judgement engaged while on vacation.

Quoted for truth.

The more I read about experiences like this, the more grateful I am that I've learned to dive¹ in a club environment², without guides whom the flock is supposed to follow. We're forced to evaluate the site and plan the dive (even though the "plan" may be as simple as 'get in, go down, muck around, surface no later than after XX minutes or at 50 bar'), since nobody else is doing it for us. And we're diving as independent buddy pairs, we're not following a guide or DM who controls the dive. This has given me a sound knowledge of my comfort zone and limits, so when I've been diving with a guide on a vacation, I've had the knowledge I needed to pass on dives I'm not competent for.

¹ I certified with a commercial op, but my real learning has been through my regular diving
² CMAS- and BSAC-style

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom