Make Reservations for the Dolphin encounter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelikinMan

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Do we need to make reservations for the dolphin encounter at AKR?
We are going to be there for a full week.

If you are staying there, I don't think it will be a problem. They have quite a few trainers and dolphins so they can have larger groups if they are busy. I think you'll probably be fine if you just sign up for it when you get there. I LOVE AKR's Dolphin program. We went on a group trip and it included one free encounter, we also paid to do the snorkel so we got another encounter with it. They are incredible creatures. The snorkel is a lot harder than you would think though. You really have to swim fast and dive to see much of them in the enclosure and it's pretty big. Next time I'm going to try the dive with them- I would rather see how they swim underwater without be exhausted. You can take your own camera with you for the encounter also, they have a short photo op time at one point.

We did not stay at AKR and were able to do the dolphin encounter by calling AKR the day before we wanted to go.

Just back from our trip to AKR 2/29-3/8/08. You can sign up for the encounter, at the Marine Institute, when you arrive at AKR. They have these several times a day, every day.

By-the-way...do not do the Dolphin Dive. Waste of money! Yes, you get to interact with the Dolphins some, but for the most part the Dolphins have a chance to spread their fins and swim in the open water. Yes, they return for a couple of minutes and then they are off again. Snorkel yes...dive...NO!

Greg:no

I did the snorkel when I was there... and I regret it now...:shakehead: Having since learned about the world problem with dolphin exhibits/ encounters and the dolphin/tourist economy, I would now choose not to encourage it. I'll wait and see if I'm lucky enough to see wild dolphins one day...

Not trying to flame anybody; it's each person't personal choice! But had I known then what I know now, I would not have done it.

Cheers!:coffee:

I'll wait and see if I'm lucky enough to see wild dolphins one day...

I can't recall a trip to Roatan where we didn't get to see or snorkel with them just East of CCV and FIBR in a place called Iron Shore- down past First Bight.

There is some good that comes out of the AKR Dolphin Show. Of the hoardes of Pod People that are disgorged from the cruise ships make their way to shop the fabulous island paradise, hundreds of them wind up at AKR. They get a little informative lecture, learn about conservation, and they get to pester Flipper before going to West End to get splotched on Salva Vida.

It pays a lot of bills for the islanders. It keeps AKR flush with cash (weeklong guests are just a sideline- seriously!) Some good may come of it, as well. There's going to be a second one (Dolphin flog) soon in Dixon Cove, where the new cruise ship port is being drilled into the island- just East of the airport. This will likely delay West End's total extermination from the crush of visitors.

I agree. Like Sharks- wait and see them in the natural environ.

p.s.- The OP, Biliken Man is down in Roatan right now! That's why he hasn't posted in the last 5 minutes. I am looking forward to his trip report and comments!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom