making a full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mirrocraft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello my name is scott im posting here about how you make a full face make im big on ebay and buy alot of good gear on there but im always seeing fireman full face masks listed as scuba mask and i was wanting to know how would one go about turning it in to a scuba full face mask. they seem to sell really well as scuba but i think people just dont know what they are buying can someone enlighten me or tell me how i would go about converting these

What make are the masks you have? You could convert an Interspiro mask, doubt that any others could be converted.

these are scotts thats all i know about the they are they once with the hose attacted to them i have pics on ebay you can click my ebay and see them i have about a 100 of these thing you you where to connect a reg. to the hose i think it would work im going to hook up a spare reg to it and to my deco bottle and try it

I would listen to Mtndiver. He would know. Some Interspiro mask I have seen on ebay would need little more than changing the faceplate from a curved one to the flat one, adding a noseblock, etc.

Hello all. Mirrocraft,I'm here to ask the same question too. I just got off of ebay and am tired of scratching my head...so I will ask also. The 2 mask's I seen are made by Scott, AV2000 and AV3000.These 2 full face mask's are very simular to Ocean technology's AGA full face.. or Ocean reef. I've made contact with 3 different seller's about conversion's. 2 out of 3 have done the conversion,but they dont want to share info because they dont want to be held responsible if somthing went wrong.Your right,these mask's are very low priced(about $600-$800 cheaper) and am told very water tight if proper seal is obtained.Now,James croft,where would you suggest getting part's for converting the face plate and what type of reg would prob. work the best? Any help would be great!! One of the biggest reason's for wanting a full face mask is for doing boat bottom cleaning on the side. Thank's,charles

Hello Chuck,

I looked at the Scott masks on e-bay. I don't think you'll find a flat visor for either of them. I can't tell from the photos what the regulator is or if there is one. The 2000 looks to be set up for a double hose, as for a closed circuit SCBA. Converting one of these to a useable diving FFM will be quite a task. My concern would be that you'd spend over $100 just for the base components and not be able to do anything with it. Better off spending $500 on a used Interspiro mask that you can use than a $100 dust collector. If you find an Interspiro mask, you should have better luck. Don't get an S mask though, no exhaust in the reg. And watch out for the parts prices, they're not cheap.

Good luck and don't kill yourself. Remember, this is only life support.

A big thank's to mntdiver!! Thank's for taking time to look these up and respond to my question. I went back and found a couple of the ffm you were talking about.When you say S mask,were are you refering to SCBA? I went on OTS site and found some of the part's for conversion.There doesnt look to be much of a difference between the 2 other than the visor and the 2n stage.(please tell me if I'm wrong)

I'm not quite sure yet,that's why I'm seeking info for this type of mask. I've never had a problem equalizing. I'm one of the one's that can rock my jaw as I descend and never have to touch my nose. I an worried though about how that motion might affect the seal of the mask

chucksterman:
A big thank's to mntdiver!! Thank's for taking time to look these up and respond to my question. I went back and found a couple of the ffm you were talking about.When you say S mask,were are you refering to SCBA? I went on OTS site and found some of the part's for conversion.There doesnt look to be much of a difference between the 2 other than the visor and the 2n stage.(please tell me if I'm wrong)

There are several versions of masks from Interspiro. One you will note has a larger exhaust assembly. Actually the S masks does not exhaust through the diaphragm, there in lies the problem. The mask with the larger diaphragm assembly (Spiromatic) is one that can be converted. You'd need to get a new diaphragm housing (cover) with purge button, a new visor, equalizing assembly (pushpad) and depending on what head harness or strap it has, you might need to replace it as well. You don't want the fabric harness. You're talking about some dollars here. Probably over $200 depending on where you source the components. I'm thinking there was something else. Can't think of it right now.

And now, to CMA, I'd recommend that if you're going to get a mask to dive, you get a dive mask. Diving with any of this equipment and making modifications could result in serious injury or death. To do so, is solely the responsibility of the individual and he or she should explain to their family that will want to hold someone else responsible for their suicide by modified equipment that it's no one else's fault but their own. Now, I feel better. Don't you? :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom