Making a new dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool float.
I use one that I made from a lobster buoy. I also used a reflective driveway marker. To attach the flag I use zip ties and a little duct tape to cover them to protect them from rubbing against rocks on entries/exits. It didn't sit quite right so I attached a 1 lb weight at the bottom to give it more vertical stabilization. I've been using it for a couple years now.

I don't remember what it cost but I did compare it to store bought floats and it was about $10 - 15 cheaper. I probably could have saved a few bucks by picking up a lobster buoy at a yard sale instead of buying the float and stick new.

Last year I was unfortunate enough to have left my flag/float at home while diving Cape Anne. Long story short had to buy one from CAD. Cost me about $50 on the button after tax...Not Sure what the benefit would be, but cool project never the less...not trying to take anything away from you!

When I make one, the base will be out of an old contact mine.

THAT will keep boats clear.

Set up a video camera, and we can use it as a Boater Safety Training Video "Why You Should Avoid Dive Flags"...:eyebrow:

When I make one, the base will be out of an old contact mine.

THAT will keep boats clear.

:rofl3: I love that idea !!!! last week we had a boat go right over one of our guys flag! Thats what started me on this float

HAHAHA imagine their faces when they are flying over the water with no boat under them

It breaks down and the rod goes in the back of the pick up ;-).

I also found a sleave for it, so after i try it out this weekend at rockport i may cut it in 1/2 and add the sleave to reassemble

I'd be interested in making one myself, so please let us know how the sleeve works.

I would be concerned with painting or wrapping it.

As the tube deflates and inflates (gas expansion from solar heating and cooling) the paint will crack, peel, and then start looking crappy after a while (sooner than later).
I have had nothing but bad luck when trying to paint anything flexible with all sorts of paint types (including flexible oil based paints).
Also be careful, some paints will deteriorate the rubber which will result in your float turning into a sink.

Wrapping it will make it look like a mess when it starts deflating as I could imagine various problems with that too, but it would be better than paint hands down.

I have seen some places that sell red heavy duty inter-tubes similar to material that kick balls are made out of. Can't really remember where I saw them otherwise I would send you a link. I do think they were at some educational supply site under P.E. items.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom