Making Lead Shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am making some trim weights for my backplate, and need to make some lead shot..... instead of the mold, do I just drop the molten lead into a bucket of water?? TO form the tiny balls of lead???

You can, but for them to be round they have to be dropped from a rather long distance. This was a standard method of making rifle balls during the 1860's. I don't remember the height used, but I know they used towers.

I think molten lead and water would be an extraordinarly bad combination to make in your back yard.

Why don't you buy some lead shot, or get it from a local firing range or something like that?

So first you have to build a tower to drop molten lead from? Even up there in the wilds of New Brunswick, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a bag of shot?

Tom, where's your sense of adventure? Besides, he was asking about feasibility.

Actually, it doesn't need to be round. I usually dive with fishing sinkers (picked up on dives) tossed in the pockets of my weight belt.

Thoght about doing this as well as they don't like using lead shot in shot gun shells any more due to the environmental concerns, however, found out that I could buy it at the local sporting goods place for $25 for 25 lbs CDN. The self fabrication was off. You just have to make sure that the shot is lead and not a combination of materials that may cause rust.

To make the shot you can melt down the lead (outside as it is toxic stuff) and pour it down an inclined plane of a short distance and then allow it to drop off the edge into a bucket of water. There are plans on the NET for this device. All told, after construction etc it is way cheaper at $1 per pound than it is to make.

I would venture into making custom belt weights if it was required but not the shot.

You are partially correct. The reason for the drop is so it will form a sphere. Liquids dropped through the air do not immediately form spheres. You are correct in that some cooling (and hardening) is necessary for the drop to retain it's sherical shape when it hits the water.

Molten lead poured into water does not explode. It will, however, instantly vaporize some of the water which is probably what you are mistaking for an explosion.

Walter:
You are partially correct. The reason for the drop is so it will form a sphere. Liquids dropped through the air do not immediately form spheres. You are correct in that some cooling (and hardening) is necessary for the drop to retain it's sherical shape when it hits the water.

Molten lead poured into water does not explode. It will, however, instantly vaporize some of the water which is probably what you are mistaking for an explosion.

Semantics. Any way you look at it, someone could get hurt. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom