Making your own backplate... links please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

I kidda lost all my links for making your own backplate and I would really appreciate it if you could post me any links you might have.

Please help as I tried to do some searches and all I seem to get are links to posts about backplates.

Many thanks,

SangP

Hi mstudley,

Thanks for the info but what I need are the templates of homemade plates that I can compare and see which suits my needs best. I remembered seeing some links for plate templates but I lost them...

SangP

mstudley:
If you don't have all the tools at home to do the cutting, bending, etc check this website out:

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Design whatever you want and they'll make it for you.

That is an incredible site... thanks for sharing that. I will use that for more than just diving stuff.

Now it's well known that I am a pretty cheap *******. I like quality, and I'll pay for it, but I still don't like spending money a lot. That said, a backplate is about US$60. For the time and trouble of making my own, I'd have invested a LOT more than $60. You'll have to find and pay for the stock to do it. And unless you are a machinst, you'll have to pay to have it custom done. I can't fathom that you could do it cheaper yourself than simply buying one and having it shipped.

I picked up the hammerhead plate, I think they are $70 and they are very good quality. Hard to beat that price, even making your own.

Sang,

You asked for advice right? Thats what I though. Some other guy must have been looking for links to making a back plate. Sorry for wasting your time.

hermosadive:
Sang,

You asked for advice right? Thats what I though. Some other guy must have been looking for links to making a back plate. Sorry for wasting your time.

hahaha

LOL!

No really, I'm interested to get links for plate specs...

I have a number of plates but I'm still looking for a plate that fits better. I'm looking for links to plate designs.

Please help guys.

SangP

Building a backplate in your garage is a waste of time in my opinon. Unless you have a laser cutter, 40 ton press and a bunch of other metal equipment just buy one.
If you're looking to make backpate to sell then you should design it or have someone design it. They all have their positive and negative quirks. I can't believe there is much profit margin with today's steel prices.

Back
Top Bottom