Malapascua or Moalboal in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so I understand that weather patterns are not all that set and can be unpredictable. But if someone can elaborate how the weather has been the last few years in late Jan/ Early Feb, then at least I can have an idea of 'generally' what to expect. Firstly it is not in the typhoon or 'wet' season correct?

What's a mandarin shrimp??? :confused: fist time in my 15 years of diving I hear about a mandarin shrimp... if you're speaking of mandarin FISH it's not on Monad 25m deep that you best spot them.
And c'mon, be honest : when you go shark spotting, there's not much around... you seriously can't compare to other coral place in the Phils, and besides that when you're 25m deep on the plateau you can't stay that long looking for critters.

O.k. I ment to type mantis shrimp for crying out loud. Yes the mandarin fish are at the Lighthouse dive site in less than 30 foot of water just before dusk when they get frisky. Of course I have to keep secret the dive site where you can see an ornate albino flamboyant pigmy whale shark...

Thanks for the link Ben.! So it seems Jan is not the wettest month at only 7/ 30 days having rain over 1mm. Looks like July - Sept are wet months?

Thanks for the link Ben.! So it seems Jan is not the wettest month at only 7/ 30 days having rain over 1mm. Looks like July - Sept are wet months?

Well... there's a reason why people hate the weather man. Click some of the different stations and you'll see quite a difference. (look at Surigao and Tacloban)

Ok lets say I want to push my rather limited leave boundaries and take another 2 days off, so I go to Moalboal after Malapascua? does this mean I can stretch my itinerary to include Moalboal? Will 2 days diving be enough to spend there in late Jan? I hear its onl 2500 PS taxi from Cebu City to Moalboal. 2.5 hours travel time. Is this correct? What dive operations/ accomodation would you people recommend?

Or should I consider Apo Island instead? (not Apo reef)

Guess if I was to elaborate - Can I do the best sites in Moalboal in 2 full days diving. Perhaps 4 dives on Day 1 and 3 Dives Day2.

Pescador Island I notice is a world class site. Are there any others worth considering in that league?

Or can anyone say hands down if Apo Island is better?

Guess if I was to elaborate - Can I do the best sites in Moalboal in 2 full days diving. Perhaps 4 dives on Day 1 and 3 Dives Day2.

Pescador Island I notice is a world class site. Are there any others worth considering in that league?

Or can anyone say hands down if Apo Island is better?

Apo Island would take more travel time (maybe even lose a day) as you would have to taxi/bus (3-5 hours) to Cebu City then taxi/bus/ferry (3-5 hours) to Dumaguette then taxi/jeepnee to ?I can't remember then ferry/small boat to Apo Island although you could stay on Negros at a number of resorts that boat over to Apo for a couple of dives during the day. The ferry from Cebu City is fastest but then you have to deal with coordinating with the sailing time possibly losing a day.

Yes, the coral health is great at Apo Island and lots of trigger fish, eels and jacks. I usually stay on the island. The night dive is great.

I have traveled with this combination but usually do it with 2.5 to 3 weeks time. Manila to Dumaguette (air) to Apo Island then ferry or bus to Cebu City, taxi and ferry to Malapascua, ferry and taxi/bus to Cebu City, Cebu City to Manila (air). It is easier if you fly directly to and from Cebu City.

Looking back at your original post - only 8 days you are really pushing it with two dive locations so far apart.

So really in retrospect yes I agree now to get to Apo from Malapascua is really long. Now I even see to Moalboal is long enough (maybe 7 hours?)- but if I lose a day transit then I may be able to dive Malapascua from 23-28 transit on 28 to Moalboal. then dive Moalboal 29-30.

Im interested in this quiet area called white beach away from panlagsama which has a reputation of having noisy discos? and I will be there Sat-Sun!

So 2 days and 6 dives on pescador island should be enough to see the some great stuff?

Im interested in this quiet area called white beach away from panlagsama which has a reputation of having noisy discos? and I will be there Sat-Sun!

So 2 days and 6 dives on pescador island should be enough to see the some great stuff?

For two days, better stay in Panagsama, not so noisy and most of the dive centers are there (Savedra and Nelson have been there for along time, good dive guides) + lots of accoms (Try Cabanas resort or even Savedra's own bungalows) & restaurants : besides that it's a closer ride to Pescador.

6 dives is ok provided you go 4 times to Pescador :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom