Malaria in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HowieDean:
Dragging todlers around on vacation is not my idea of responsible parenting - and I don't just mean to third world under develped places.

That's just my opion I could be wrong

HowieDean: I'm gonna have to weigh in here and admit that you're wrong. I have to ask if you have children? Responsible parenting in NOT dumping your children off on other family members while you gallivant around the world with little to no regard to your responsibilities of having brought children into this world. Gussy, myself and my wife (Maya'sMim) are being as responsible as possible by evaluating the potential risks of contracting a disease that is little know to US citizens that rarely travel to endemic areas of the world. We've come to this message board seeking advice and possibly empirical data in hopes of making the best educated decision. However we get very biased opinions unrelated to our questions that are down right disrespectful and unwarranted. I know you own or manage another resort/hotel in Roatan and your comments hear are not reflective of any establishment I'll ever consider doing business with and I'm sure many other's, with or without children will see this and choose to do the same. It's as if you're not welcoming children to the island of Roatan because you simply don't like children and don't want to be around them.

And Roatanman, you need to chill too! Where do you guys get off with these suggestive comments that have NOTHING to do with the question at hand? I've been more active on the Cozumel board and have asked questions regarding children and vacationing with them to the island. I've read post after post after post and never has anyone suggested what you two have regarding children. I swear, you two hate children!

We're going to make our own decision... If you cannot simply answer our question, just shut up!

HowieDean:
I have never tried to lead anybody to believe that my brain is capable of anything more then day to day survival so maybe you actually can remeber some of the stuff.

HowieDean

Your memory is faded for the same reason mine is.........THE 70's:57:

Roger

This is probably a good place to end this thread or get back to the original topic. How about we do that?

I am in West End right now. Three are lots of kids around including a 6 month old infant who just went by in his mom's arms. In the morning you can see them going off to school. If you like to travel with your kids, why not bring them here.

This is my ninth trip to Honduras. I have never taken anti malarial drugs here. Only once, on my first trip to India years ago did I use anti malarial drugs and I felt sick the entire time. On eight subsequent trips to India I did not use the stuff.

I travel extensively and have never had malaria, or have ever heard of anyone contracting it during any of my travels.

It is a risk, but so is getting struck by lightening, or a shark attack. You are more likely to get killed by some drunk in a car.

-Ron

driftin' by:
And Roatanman, you need to chill too! Where do you guys get off with these suggestive comments that have NOTHING to do with the question at hand? I've been more active on the Cozumel board and have asked questions regarding children and vacationing with them to the island. I've read post after post after post and never has anyone suggested what you two have regarding children. I swear, you two hate children!

We're going to make our own decision... If you cannot simply answer our question, just shut up!

Since you rattled my cage, this was from the thread starter:

Gussy:
I don't mind taking meds...but was just wondering about my kids. I took them to Mexico and Asia where the their doctors here will always give us a very long speech about Dysintery, Cholera, etc.

It had everything to do with the question at hand.

Read what I wrote with greater care. Children, simply because of their size, have diminished capacity and immune systems that are less capable of a response that could see them through the time until adequate medical care is obtained.

Your comparison, Cozumel... in case you haven't looked around, is basically a suburb of Houston.

Take a tour of the medical facilities in the Bay Islands, then get back to me. I've done more than "tour" them, as I am sure Howie has some intimate experience as well. When needed, quite often (in Roatan and elsewhere) I am asked to perform medical procedures- my doctorate aint in medicine.

I also understand what it takes to get Life Flight in and out of the Bay Islands. I have had 4 such lessons to witness and learn throughout my Caribbean travels. Minutes stretch into very long hours. It's unnerving how quiet things can get when you are waiting for a phone call.

Knowing that, does this change a decsion? For some, it might.

driftin'by:
We're going to make our own decision

And you see, that was also my point. Two seperate medical doctors advice were sought and apparently they still needed to inquire of our supreme wisdom.

The additional question as to whether there is a danger... CDC not good enough? Better to have some anecdotal advice from us Certified Internet Doctors? The dangers are there and apparent. It is up to the adult parent to make the necessary decision as to whether the bennefits outweigh the risks.

"We're going to make our own decision"... that says it all, and from what I read- the decision had already been made.

Of course I like children~ HowieDean tells me that they are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

RoatanMan:
"We're going to make our own decision"... that says it all, and from what I read- the decision had already been made.
You're right... As Gussy reported earlier, they've changed their mind and are not going. We on the other hand are waiting on feedback from DAN and the Travel Department at the Texas Children's Hospital.

RoatanMan:
I also understand what it takes to get Life Flight in and out of the Bay Islands. I have had 4 such lessons to witness and learn throughout my Caribbean travels. Minutes stretch into very long hours. It's unnerving how quiet things can get when you are waiting for a phone call.

Life Flight for Malaria???? Not unless you contracted it before arriving. It takes at minimum, 8 days for symptoms to arise. Given the typical vacation is 6,7 or 8 days any vacationer that contracts malaria will be back home in the States or other 1st world country where adequate and responsive treatment can be administered. Again, you should be careful of what you say. And so to answer you question....

RoatanMan:
Knowing that, does this change a decision? For some, it might.

NO! Life flight and quality medical facilities would have absolutely nothing to do with a traditional vacationer that stays 8 days and contracts malaria.

RoatanMan:
Hmmmm, no it did not. Gussy voiced a concern about taking the meds. You went out of your way to find Gussy's other posts and point that he disregarded professional advice previously and then gave a snide comment regarding an 18 month old child that he doesn't even have. READ CAREFULLY? I think that is something you should work on!

RoatanMan:
I am not sure what an 18 month old infant will learn from this cultural opportunity that you are eager to expose them to.

As responsible parents raising the questions, and it's obvious that neither of you two are reliable sources, we're NOT eager to expose our children.

RoatanMan:
Your comparison, Cozumel... in case you haven't looked around, is basically a suburb of Houston.
And there you go again. I've been to Cozumel a dozen times and I live in Houston and NO, it's definitely not a suburb... but I wish.

RoatanMan:
And you see, that was also my point. Two separate medical doctors advice were sought and apparently they still needed to inquire of our supreme wisdom.

Don't get all high and mighty on yourself... we only come here looking for the advice and support of other travelers/divers that are in a similar situation (have children who they cherish and travel together) and have visited the area. I can only speak for myself, but we certainly were NOT looking for a couple of opinionated, jerk-offs like you two who feel the necessity to give absurd advice and make offensive comments regarding our families and decision to travel with our children. We're going to make our own decision whether or not to vacation to Roatan WITH OUR CHILDREN. A decision that is educated and isn't influenced by people like you two who apparently have their own hidden agendas and obviously can't bare to be around children. Well guess what? You both were children at one time too.

RoatanMan:
Of course I like children~ HowieDean tells me that they are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Enough said! I DON'T EVEN CARE IF YOU JOKING! You're absolutely tasteless and low class and if you two represent Roatan, I never care to visit! So go ahead and take my previous advise and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST SHUT UP!

RoatanMan:
Since you rattled my cage, this was from the thread starter:

Read what I wrote with greater care. Children, simply because of their size, have diminished capacity and immune systems that are less capable of a response that could see them through the time until adequate medical care is obtained.

Take a tour of the medical facilities in the Bay Islands, then get back to me. I've done more than "tour" them, as I am sure Howie has some intimate experience as well. When needed, quite often (in Roatan and elsewhere) I am asked to perform medical procedures- my doctorate aint in medicine.

Knowing that, does this change a decsion? For some, it might.

And you see, that was also my point. Two seperate medical doctors advice were sought and apparently they still needed to inquire of our supreme wisdom.

The additional question as to whether there is a danger... CDC not good enough? Better to have some anecdotal advice from us Certified Internet Doctors? The dangers are there and apparent. It is up to the adult parent to make the necessary decision as to whether the bennefits outweigh the risks.

Grumpy old man! :no

Make sure you get your coffee tomorrow morning! :coffee:

This is why America always gets into trouble...we don't know how to tell some people nicely...have to shove our opinions down other people's throat! :shakehead Tackles...that's why foreigners are right when they say we do not have any manners!

Maya'sMim:
NO! Life flight and quality medical facilities would have absolutely nothing to do with a traditional vacationer that stays 8 days and contracts malaria.

Malaria is the least of it. A much more easily contracted disease resulting in a much deadlier symptom... being diarrhea. That is what kills children very quickly. It is the uncontrolled dehyrdation.

Don't get all high and mighty on yourself...

:confused:

but we certainly were NOT looking for a couple of opinionated, jerk-offs like you two

The beauty of the internet is that it is free of such controls, just like procreating, as you must be well aware. Lucky that you met us, just as we have met you. You kiss your mother with that mouth?

people like you two who apparently have their own hidden agendas and obviously can't bare to be around children.

That would be "bear"... what's your hidden agenda? :11:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
My agenda (here and today in this thread) is to remind people that although the tropics feel real good with the warm sand on your toes, all people with diminished immune systems (or those limited by their physical size, ie: children) would do well to consider their "escape routes" if something goes badly.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well guess what? You both were children at one time too.

I believe Howie was born at age 23. I myself am still a child at heart. :eyebrow:

Enough said! I DON'T EVEN CARE IF YOU JOKING!

You mean about the reference to kids being "crunchy and taste good with ketchup"? Well, actually, I like the Green Habanero sauce, and they're only really crunchy if you deep fry them. Watching my lipids- I do the stir fry thing. Pillsbury Doughboy reference so acknowledged. I prefer the Great Pumpkin monniker.

You're absolutely tasteless and low class and if you two represent Roatan,

No, neither of us do. I think Howie might do some instruction at a resort, but no, the island is way to disorganized to have someone representing Roatan. I am often quite tasteless and some folks find that quite amusing in small doses. It is not, however, deadly to small children as diarrhea would be.

I never care to visit! So go ahead and take my previous advise and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST SHUT UP![/U][/B]
[/SIZE]

Wow. Oky doke. "Don't hear you, I can shout" (a FireSign Theater reference)

Boy, people really get all cranked up when they ask questions that they really don't want to hear the answers to.

I've done a lot of SCUBA with little kids. I have gone with them to Cayman, Nassau and Hawaii. Never felt any concern. I knew I could get competent medical assistance with the backup facilities required to sustain life until evacuation could be arranged. When they got bigger and tougher we went farther afield.

I am not "a grumpy old man"... I am a curmudgeon and have the certifications to prove it. Not much difference, but its kind of like going professional.

:popcorn: ... here Damselfish... here....

Doc, just admit it- your whole plan was to keep them all away from Roatan... well done sir, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom