Maldives liveaboard opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wombat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I are planning to do a liveaboard in the Maldives for our next trip, but have no idea which one. Any recommendations (either positive or negative) from people who have done that recently would be greatly appreciated.

wombat:
My buddy and I are planning to do a liveaboard in the Maldives for our next trip, but have no idea which one. Any recommendations (either positive or negative) from people who have done that recently would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a Maldives LOB trip booked in less than two weeks on the Giulia. I'll post a quick overview when I'm back.

Mark Goodchild:

Hi

Nice pics you have there. I am planning to go Maldives in June on a live aboard.

I am a fairly new diver with about 25 dives under my belt. From what I read, some dives in Maldives are in fairly strong current. Is it something that a person with my experience can handle?

Fyi, all my dives so far have been minimal current in tropical water.

Thanks for the info
BD

Blues, make sure your buoyancy skills are fairly decent and you should be fine. If your guide is good, they'll ease you into the drift dives and not take you anyplace that is beyond your skill level.

BTW, why do people say "I have X dives under my belt"? Why don't they ever say "I have X dives in my pocket" or "I have X dives put away in the cookie jar"? Answer quick before they delete my post.

Thanks Zippsy. My buoyancy skills are fairly ok. Not good but ok :). Just wanting to know are there any special tips for someone who has never done a drift dive before and never attended one of those drift dive course.

"Under my belt"...i have no idea, it just came out when i type :)

tips? yeah remember that fast drift dives are more about learning to fly and seeing big critters rather than looking for small things close to the reef. If you get thrown into a fast drift dive as soon as you get there, (complain bitterly and...) concentrate more on your buoyancy / maintaining the proper depth, keeping track of your budy, staying a bit away from the reef (no crash landings) and looking for sharks, mantas, turtles and other peligics rather than nudibranchs, cleaner shrimp, etc. Learn to fly - it can be a lot of fun and it's not hard at all.

I agree with Zippsy, the "flying with the current" part can be really fun but watch out for the upward or downward current. I was pushed up to abt 3m by the upward current while my buddy was pushed downward to 30+m during the same dive, from abt 20+m!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom