Trip Report MALPELO review on the Ferox liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how many days in Malpelo ?

what was the total cost of this trip ?

I paid USD$4800 and that included my park fee. I think I paid about $600USD for tips. I had a single cabin to myself (there are 4 of these on board) and LOVED it. That got me 6 full diving days, 18 dives though most dives were well over an hour. The price is pretty all-inclusive as they pick you up in Cali and take you to Buenaventura and back on a comfy bus. There is free happy hour every day with wine, rum, beer etc. They were very good about catering to everyone's dietary needs/interests and there were plenty of snacks etc. I think I only paid a bit more than $3000 USD for Socorro so obviously there is a significant cost differential here though Malpelo is still quite a bit cheaper than Galapagos and a bit less than Cocos.

Thanks for a nice report.
I'm thinking about going in mid-January; any thoughts on what sort of marine life might be plentiful at that time?
Weather and sea conditions?

Best,

Matt

The sea conditions are generally a bit rougher and the water much colder in January. The DMs told me they like February the best because while it is cold (water around 21-22 degrees or colder) and the currents can be fierce, the wildlife is nuts. I am guessing January might be a bit warmer. They said the hammerhead schools are huge (200+) and come very close, the animals are very active and you can chill out around 15 metres and see them, thus extending your air and deco time so you can have really long dives if you like. It also gives you really good chances of seeking the Ferox sharks who normally stay at non-rec depths when the water is warmer.
It is also a less popular time to go so I know Tony has had deals on January and February Malpelo departures. Like $1500+ off of the regular price.
Send them an email if you want a bit more info about the wildlife and conditions that time of year but I am pretty sure they will tell you it is really good and the only challenge will be the much colder water.

This trip looks simply AMAZING.... Too rich for my blood, but man if I had unlimited funds, I would be on my way next week. Thank you for the report.

Please post some pics - boat and under water

Let me try this again - here are some pictures taken during our trip on the Ferox at the end of August 2019 - hammerheads, huge schools of fish, mating jacks, eagle rays, tons of galapagos sharks at the cleaning stations, oceanic mantas and whale sharks

Attachments

• malpelo_hammer.jpg
    malpelo_hammer.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 137
  • malpelo_bigschool.jpg
    malpelo_bigschool.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 146
  • malpelo_closegalap.jpg
    malpelo_closegalap.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 130
  • malpelo_eagleray.jpg
    malpelo_eagleray.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 134
  • malpelo_ferox.jpg
    malpelo_ferox.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 138
  • malpelo_hamschool.jpg
    malpelo_hamschool.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 135
  • malpelo_jacks.jpg
    malpelo_jacks.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 129
  • malpelo_pairjacks.jpg
    malpelo_pairjacks.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 140
  • malpelo_WS.jpg
    malpelo_WS.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 129
  • malpelo_ws2.jpg
    malpelo_ws2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 137
And of course you can't forget the very curious and numerous silkies that would come circle us at most safety stops! (dolphins too but I don't have any pics unfortunately)

Attachments

• malpelo-silky.jpg
    malpelo-silky.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 130
  • malpelo-manta.jpg
    malpelo-manta.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 132
  • malpelo-jacksoup.jpg
    malpelo-jacksoup.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 127
  • malpelo-hams.jpg
    malpelo-hams.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 131
  • malpelo-galapcleaning.jpg
    malpelo-galapcleaning.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 135
AWESOME! Man I'm jealous.. After dropping $6k on rotator cuff surgery, I will be lucky to make it to Cozumel this year :D

Do you have on board boat pics? cabins, salon, dive deck, sun deck etc...?

Back
Top Bottom