Mammoth Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning to dive at Mammoth again this Friday and I was wondering if anyone knew where the deeper spots are located? I've been to the C-130 and other sites close to the shop a year or two ago, but not much more.

Thanks,
David

I have a map. PM me an e-mail and I'll try to scan it and send it to you.

If you enter at the 4th entry or pavilion 7, swim pretty close to due north, you should run into the boat on a stick. The map shows there is a line that heads SE from there right to the deep hole/ silo. Keep swimming from there and you will find Kong.

Does anyone know if they allow solo diving at Mammoth? I have redundant air (slung 40CF pony) and solo dive a lot, but no solo cert. I'd love to try it out, but I'm not willing to take a chance on driving 5 hours just to get turned away at the gate...

I dont know if there is an official policy but we have never had an issue with it. I did a 2.5 hr solo dive on sat.

Does anyone know if they allow solo diving at Mammoth? I have redundant air (slung 40CF pony) and solo dive a lot, but no solo cert. I'd love to try it out, but I'm not willing to take a chance on driving 5 hours just to get turned away at the gate...

I was turned away "at the gate" when I showed up under previous management by myself..

Word on the street now is they won't be hitting anyone up to show a solo cert IF you don't make an issue out of it.. ie. check in, go to the back side, and wait for your buddy.. :eyebrow: Don't pass "go" if you submit an OW card, have a Spare-Air duct-taped to your poodle jacket, and a ton of danglies, all while jumping in right in front of the shop.. :)

In case anybody else wants a map it is posted in one of the ScubaBoard galleries:

Mammoth_Lake_Divers_Map.jpg

Here's the link in case it doesn't display right:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Mammoth_Lake_Divers_Map.jpg

We had a great dive there last Saturday with 20' vis. We're going back next Saturday on the way to the beach.

I'm planning to dive at Mammoth again this Friday and I was wondering if anyone knew where the deeper spots are located? I've been to the C-130 and other sites close to the shop a year or two ago, but not much more.

Thanks,
David

Do the "Deep Hole". It's a huge 12' diameter steel tank with one end cut off and it was buried into the ground before the lake was filled. Someone said that it was 60' feet, all I recall is that when you get to the bottom, no light gets down there so it is the blackest pitch you will encounter. My son and I did it a few years ago. We got to the bottom and my heart was racing because I had never been that deep in that thick of darkness. We surfaced and looked at each other and said "Let's do it again!"

It is not allowed without a cert and, in fact, the dive shop owner offers a solo cert tech course. However, see the other posts about "sneaking in". There are no PADI Police patrolling the lake if that is what you are worried about.

Back
Top Bottom