Man attacked by Alligator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it common to swim in water where gators could be? Whats the visibility like there seems like they like to swim in water where the gator can use it's sense and you can't see them until it's too late.

Florida has many great natural " swimming holes " where people swim/snorkel/Scuba every day of the year. We all co-exist with gators pretty well. I always say, that in Fl. , " If it has water,,,, it can have gators." At many of the commercial sites, there are " Alligator Warning " signs & if there are lifeguards , they will call the people out of the water if a gator comes around. I have seen families playing in the water & a gator 100 ft away, many times. I have seen gators while swimming & diving. Gator attacks are hyped-up , much like Shark attacks. Hollywood does that !
Just be careful, & look around before going in.
Look up how many people are killed by bee stings, etc., etc., in the U.S. every year, & compare that to " Mud Lizzuds !"

Last edited:
Another case where well-meaning people feeding wild animals turns out badly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Florida has many great natural " swimming holes " where people swim/snorkel/Scuba every day of the year. We all co-exist with gators pretty well. I always say, that in Fl. , " If it has water,,,, it can have gators." At many of the commercial sites, there are " Alligator Warning " signs & if there are lifeguards , they will call the people out of the water if a gator comes around. I have seen families playing in the water & a gator 100 ft away, many times. I have seen gators while swimming & diving. Gator attacks are hyped-up , much like Shark attacks. Hollywood does that !
Just be careful, & look around before going in.
Look up how many people are killed by bee stings, etc., etc., in the U.S. every year, & compare that to " Mud Lizzuds !"

I know but having your limbs twisted off you as they roll I think I would rather die of a bee sting, but I do want to visit Florida want to do some diving in the key's.

Alligator_warning_sign_near_swimming_area_at_Edward_Ball_Wakulla_Springs_State_Park_in_Florida_cr.jpg
This is a type sign you will see in many, many freshwater swimming areas in Florida. As I said above, " we co-exist with these critters , well !" So just pay attention, heed the warnings, use common sense,, & it helps by not being the

" slowest swimmer !"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Wakulla_Springs_State_Park_in_Florida_cr.jpg

No gators in the Keys... just salt water crocodiles. :wink:
You are correct, but, just to clarify, the Keys have American Crocodiles, Crocodylus acutus, that live primarily in salt water. The Saltwater Crocodile, Crocodylus porosus, is endemic to the Indo-pacific, from India to Australia. That's the problem with common names.

We have the kinder/gentler variety. Smaller too, but they still have sharp teeth.
You are correct, but, just to clarify, the Keys have American Crocodiles, Crocodylus acutus, that live primarily in salt water. The Saltwater Crocodile, Crocodylus porosus, is endemic to the Indo-pacific, from India to Australia. That's the problem with common names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom