Man killed by shark in SW (of Western Australia AU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all condolences to the family of the late victim. Very sorry to hear about the tragic death.

on the other hand Devon Diver raised a compelling question. In the reports it was clearly mentioned "looking for crayfish etc" or something like that. Im pretty sure it was. Though Im not an expert in spear fishing but I understand once you've collected several speared fishes in your bag, you are increasing the risk of being hunted by the sharks that can sense dead fish/ blood miles away.

Please correct me if Im wrong. These sort of incidents do affect my fear level too as I live in Queensland and I am a novice diver. However I still belive that these great sharks attack only when intimidated or humans have not followed the guidelines on avoiding shark attacks. Such as, diving at dawn or dusk, at the river mouth, diving alone in murky waters or high risk areas, wearing something that attracts shark's attention etc.

They attack / investigate food images. All predtors have that in common. If you look / act like food they want a sample.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom