Managing the addiction.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavachickie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How does one balance never pushing one's self versus pushing one's self too far?

This cold water PNW diver was in Maui last week for five days (left midday the 5th day). I dove three of them (2 with my husband). I was a little disappointed we didn't get a 4th dive day in. My point was, hey, we can be out of the water a solid 24 hours before flying, and while we had been pushing our no deco limits to the very last minute, that would be okay!

His point was, hey, we did come on this trip with other people... we need to spend time with them, too. =-)

My husband, my dearest friend and a great dive buddy, adomished me that night that he was concerned I had an addiction. I took great umbrage at his comment. It was one of those discussions that needed to happen, but didn't get started on the right foot (it was late, we were tired, etc.). I responded very emotionally to the word addiction, pointing out that I held a successful job, ran a good household, contributed equally to the things we shared, held up my freelance responsibilities... I felt he was trying to compare me to an out of control meth addict. :confused:

Once home, a friend sent me an article from Undercurrent about a death of a diver in the Galapagos ( http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/DeathintheGalapagos201005.shtml ). I shared it with hubby who then responded with a very long message that more accurately illustrated his concerns: that in my zeal to get into the water, I'd be more forgiving of the issues that would raise a red flag with my otherwise fairly level headed approach to life and risk. Just like people who are really hot to see the big boys would go into extreme adverse conditions that are above their experience/training level. With the added illustration that you can't trust what others tell you; you are the ultimate arbiter of your skills and how they relate to the challenges at hand and the resulting risk involved.

He had some good points, and I can't argue them. I don't feel I'm too out there, but in looking back at really just two little issues which have occured, they were both great learning experiences. They didn't appear to be significantly dangerous at the time, but the real problem as a new diver is you don't know what you don't know. They could have been, maybe.

(1) I HAVE midjudged the appropriateness of a buddy, and this was after having seen her not understand something she SHOULD have. She was not appropriate to support me, and at my current level as a diver I was not qualified to be responsible for her (IMO). I figured, "Hey, if everyone else will dive with her..." Yeah, I know that's not the way to view things now. (2) I HAVE looked at potentially adverse conditions and made the decision to attempt them, however, called the dive when it became clear they were indeed adverse. To me that was a success... I tried, made a calculated decision when new information was presented, and... acted accordingly.

I understand being cautious. Being thorough to squash small problems before they occur (which could result in big problems, or small problems compounding one another). My end goal, frankly, is to be self sufficient -- not a desire to avoid assistance from others, but doing all I can to insure I will not need assistance from others, so that I can assist both myself AND them should something occur where I DO need assistance.

So how does one balance never pushing one's self versus pushing one's self too far? I imagine the answer lies in the middle path, moderation, as it always does; but also surrounding yourself with those who are greatly experienced and knowledgable, and who are generous with sharing that.

Other suggestions? (And don't think I haven't thought of a new rule: vacation only with other divers. :rofl3:)

i dont have an addiction, I can quit any time i want, I just dont want to right now.

dont look at me, you are the one that said I could buy a new underwater camera, i am just booking a trip to bonaire so we can use it.

Edit: ya I am of no help, but good idea to book only with divers.

Personally I'm always hyper conservative with people I've never dived with.
Outside of that I'll thumb a dive if I don't like the way it's going (did this last Thursday after 10 minutes) and I expect my buddy to do the same. I won't dive with anyone who won't accept the anyone can thumb at any time for any reason without repurcusions requirement.

It's a little harder with boat dives and instabuddies, I try to avoid charters without a buddy, but I'd treat them like a solo dive, do my half of the buddying, but expect on a minimal ammount back. On recreational dives as long as you stay calm, there is an awful lot that has to go wrong before you're in real trouble.

How does one balance never pushing one's self versus pushing one's self too far?
You will frequently get answers such as "It's important to always dive within your limits"......which, while true, is generally unhelpful.

The truth is that divers rarely are aware of their limits until they exceed them...

Until you're caught in surge from high surf, or hung up in a net, or try to get back on a dive charter boat pitching around in 5'-6' seas, or find yourself dealing with other unanticipated issues that wind up scaring you, ...you really won't always recognize which situations you are or are not prepared to deal with. It's tough to always know where the lines are if you've never crossed them.

One primary answer is the dive plan.

A good dive plan involves more than just the cursory "turn the dive at 1700 and be back on deck with 500 psi".

A good dive plan, with a buddy you have some confidence in, involves the application of knowledge about your own breathing patterns (gas plan); knowledge about the environment you're diving in (rip tides, tide schedules, offshore weather, etc.); knowledge about available response resources (nearest hospital, nearest transportation, phone numbers, nearest chamber, which frequency is the boat radio transmitting on, etc.); and what sorts of assets or options do you and your buddy plan to have with you (a surface marker bouy that will support you, a signalling device, a spool or reel, a jon line, shears to cut wire line, wet notes, etc.) together with a clear understanding of your intentions.

When making a dive plan, you and your buddy sit down and run though "what-if?" scenarios. "What do we do if our reef hooks pull out?" "What do we do if we get separated at depth?" "What do we do if a BC elbow pulls out?" "What do we do if we come off the line or get lost?" To the best of your ability you discuss potential issues in advance, make joint decisions, and try to anticipate your needs to communicate and coordinate.

A good dive plan, together with superior situational awareness during the dive and a dive buddy who is capable of working with you, allows you to challenge yourself and safely advance to incrementally more complex skills and abilities, because it is a living document - it evolves as your experience increases.

You already recognize the ultimate goal --

My end goal, frankly, is to be self sufficient -- not a desire to avoid assistance from others, but doing all I can to insure I will not need assistance from others, so that I can assist both myself AND them should something occur where I DO need assistance.

A diver who possesses the planning, knowledge, skills, physical and mental abilities, and equipment to respond calmly to unanticipated or potentially life-threatening scenarios is a diver who will quite likely be a self-sufficient and emminently capable diver.

You can never eliminate risk entirely, but many divers can do much more to manage risk properly than they actually do. And managing risk appropriately is how divers "balance never pushing one's self versus pushing one's self too far."

Hope this helps,

Doc

When you see people at the grocery store, that have your number and know where you live, ignore them. You can sit in the pub near your house.

Other suggestions? (And don't think I haven't thought of a new rule: vacation only with other divers. :rofl3:)
Good Plan, at least you have a spouse who dives, dive vacations become a real balancing act with a non diving spouse, and can be frustrating when you start yearning to be under that wonderfully beckoning glistening surface every time you are on the beach looking out to the water, and the DTs that happen when you are in dive paradise and have "land adventures" planned because of the non diver in the pair, and going with nondiving friends or relatives only makes it much worse. I have also been told that I am addicted and close to the point where an intervention may be planned.:D You do seem to have a good handle on what you want as far as diving, self sufficiency, and recognition of adverse conditions are great things to have.

Last edited:
Tough question. When I was a new diver I was very conservative as I dove more I gained confidence and it all fell into place. I'm not saying that there weren’t a few times that I got in trouble. Having said that, learning how to deal with the problems that arise while diving is key. I believe you need this to grow as a diver. By the way I to am addicted.

how can you not be addicted? I just got certified and am trying desperately to plan my next trip! I got certifed with my two sons so as long as I pay I guess I will always have a buddy.

So how does one balance never pushing one's self versus pushing one's self too far? I imagine the answer lies in the middle path, moderation, as it always does; but also surrounding yourself with those who are greatly experienced and knowledgable, and who are generous with sharing that.

Your post started out with a conflict about non-dive distractions. Just like a dive plan needs objectives so does a vacation. If it's a mix then it's a mix. If it's dive centric like on a dive boat then save the donkeys until the surface day at the end. I find if yo go into it realizing the boundaries the coinflict is managed, even if your heart isn't in the other activities.

With regard to that burning desire to dive you need to listen to that voice in the back of your head. I have gone to sites feeling desperate to dive only to realize that conditions weren't appropriate, By the same token you need to be prepared to respond to rapid changes in conditions. I have seen the wind change and seas get riled up in the time it took to set-up. Taking the forecast seriously can avoid some of those mis-steps.

When you know in your gut that the dive is not meant to be refocus that energy. Go tackle some household or dive related chore that will liberate you to dive more latter. Being active will also distract you from the bubbles you aren't blowing.

Take the Rescue Diver class. This will build that critical skill of evaluatng conditions and avoiding bad situations. You will also learn a lot about how to get out of an ugly siuation.

Pete

Last edited:
First off, it IS an addiction.

And you're in the midst of people who share it.

As far as not letting your desire to dive push you into diving where you shouldn't . . . well, it probably will. And the dive itself will tell you you shouldn't have done that. You can only hope that your common sense will keep you from dives that are actually dangerous. But experiences with inadequate or unpalatable buddies will probably happen, until you begin to focus on what characteristics in a buddy are good indications that they will be useful (willingness to discuss a dive plan and do a buddy check, among them).

Be careful with the bottom time, though. Your comment that you guys were pushing your no-deco limits concerns me. For most dives, you can execute them so that you spend some time deep, but come up to shallow water and spend some quality time offgassing and still sightseeing (this is not possible on square profile, wreck type dives, but generally is for reefs).

If you never push your limits at all, you never build your scope of competence. What you want to do is use all your resources -- what you know, what your gut says, what the people around you say -- to choose dives that stretch your limits, instead of busting them to pieces :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom