Manipulating valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been my experience that, if the instructors can figure out that something is difficult, they will make you do it over and over again. So my best advice is to do your initial valve drills so beautifully that they won't figure out the left post is a headache :)

Unfortunately, I have the same instructor as I had for Fundies and I'm sure he has a good memory..... damn!

Andy, I too have RSI in my left forearm/wrist, and find that doing a lot of valve drills can be problematic. But the truth is, you aren't doing *that* many valve shutdowns in rapid succession during T1. It is nothing compared to what I see a lot of people doing in their "practice" dives before T1.

Good to know, thanks!

I use my thumb and three fingertips excepting on 'stubborn valves' for which I sometimes wrap my hand around it (valve axis parallel with width of my hand)

Also, you should make sure you are putting your head as far back as you can... a lot of people drop their heads when they reach back for their valves, but if you put it back, it makes it a lot easier to reach.

And more importantly it allows you to maintain visual contact with your team (who should be watching and signaling you if you are shutting down the wrong valve, etc.)...

I use my index finger, thumb and middle finger. Some people are able to quickly roll it open or closed using just their index finger and middle finger. Use whatever method works best for you.

Jumped in the lake last night, and happy to report that stretching has certainly helped as has thinking about how the fingers and thumbs are working on each post.

Five drills in a row, no cramping - apart from when I put my thick winter gloves on to make it a bit harder. Overkill in 24 degC water, but a reminder nonetheless, about training for the worst. Back on Sunday for some descent/ascent drills and more valve drills. Starting to feel like Tech 1 might not be complete ritual humiliation, just hard!

If you dive dry, I found that by adding a little air to the DS (and loosening up the garment a bit) will help you reach the left valve.

You know, I played with that, but I found that, if I added gas to the suit but was still neutral, then when I lifted my arm to get the left post, the suit vented and I sank . . .

You're at least aware of the problem, Lynne.... I know someone who had the same issue and couldn't work out why during C1 that they were having major issues with left post for that very reason. You can always close the dump a bit in advance, I guess?

Another practice dive last night, which was cool... last couple of dives turned into picking up other people's problems but not getting any feedback on me, so I dragged Jamie out for a dive and got a "you should be fine to start T1" comment.

Only two weeks until Liam flies in, Helium has been ordered.... and generally looking forward to it!

You can control it to some degree by rolling just a tad left side down, or head down -- but if you're head down, you're going to get dinged for not being able to see your team.

I actually found that doing the "Raoul" maneuver (floating on the surface before the dive, face down and slightly head down, with the suit full of gas, and stretching as vigorously as possible) helped me more than trying to overfill the suit to get it loose enough to reach. YMMV.

I was given a tip by my UTD instructior to "palm" the left valve and move it with the underside of your fingers. Think making a C shape with your left hand and pulling and pushing the valve with the C. I never had trouble in the pool, but being a bit chilled after 3 days and 10 or so dives I went for it and struggled... then thought about the tip, and got it turned off and on no problem.

Im not sure what I do. just whatever part of my hoof I can get on the valve I guess.
never really thought about it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom