Mantainance of different PT's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
Dear Oly friends,
I bought few months ago a C-50 zoom camera and it's underwater case PT-014. It's my first experience with undewater photo and so far I am pretty happy. I was wondering if beside the main O ring there is any need to make so routine ceck of the smaller O rings related to the different commands. I have read that for Fantasea cases ( NIkon Coolpix), the company suggests a routine ceck once a year which eventually includes the substitution of the all set of O rings. I sent a question to Olympus both to the U.S, European and Japanese center ( of course in different occasions) and beside that the only one who answered were the guys from Germany, I was told that there is no need to make any particular mantainance, just to wash well the case.
I don't know why, but It's sounds to me quite strange. What do you think about?
Bye

There are several threads about maintaining Oly housings on the board. If you search for 'o-rings' you should find them. As a general rule the only o-rings most folks worry about is the one(s) on the door. But if you use yours alot, consider replacing them periodically. One thing some of us do is to drop a single drop of food grade liquid silicon into the base of each button.

For the cost of the Oly housings, alot of folks look at them as throw aways and will buy a new one if the old ones starts showing wear and tear.

roswin:
Dear Oly friends,
I was wondering if beside the main O ring there is any need to make so routine ceck of the smaller O rings related to the different commands. ..... t
After about 50 dives with my PT-016 / Stylus 400 there was greenish saltwater corrosion on the inside of a button, and upon closer inspection, I noticed that another one had a droplet of water on the inside ---- after that I cleaned and regreased 3 or 4 of the command button o-rings and have carefully inspected them after each dive.

On the PT016 at least, it is pretty easy to
1. pull off the rubber bumper
2. remove the c-clip
3. pull out the button shaft and o-ring
4. remove o-ring, lightly grease and reassemble

Even easier would be Dee's suggestion to just put a drop of liquid food grade silicone onto the base of each button, but I'm paranoid about a drop of salt water drying out and leaving a salt crystal that causes leakage.

Charlie <----- still an UW camera newbie since I've only had the PT016 for 4 months and 65 dives.

I've always approached life from the k-i-s-s keep-it-simple-stupid perspective... and if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality [or the lack thereof]. To me that means I am more comfortable leaving the main o-ring in the housing until the day I replace it, and I check to see if it remains pliable to the touch and fingernail indentation test. I was less comfortable with the idea of removing the o-ring and exposing more area that then needs to be cleaned and checked for sand etc. all the way around the circumference of the o-ring instead of halfway, and also trying to clean inside the housing groove.

My PT-012 for my D-40z has worked well with virtually nothing but a fresh shower after diving... for ~170 dives.
I never remove any o-rings and always use my fingers [without grease, just the natural oils in my hands] to be sure there is no sand or hair on the main o-ring or adjacent housing before closing.
It was first used in Roatan in Sept. 2002 and we used the supplied grease a few times on the main o-ring while still in the housing. The o-ring is still pliable today and I see no signs of cracking or brittleness.
My PT-020 for my C-5060wz gets the same maintenance, showers and finger massage before closing.

Now, if I can just remember to double-check to be sure the D-40z clamshell lens cover is open all the way before closing the housing lid, I'd get a lot more photos. :wink:

Wayne....how long have you had your C-5060/PT-20 rig? I didn't think they had been out long enough for anyone to have that many dives on it...unless you're diving every day! You may qualify as our 5060 expert!

Dee:
There are several threads about maintaining Oly housings on the board. If you search for 'o-rings' you should find them. As a general rule the only o-rings most folks worry about is the one(s) on the door. But if you use yours alot, consider replacing them periodically. One thing some of us do is to drop a single drop of food grade liquid silicon into the base of each button.

For the cost of the Oly housings, alot of folks look at them as throw aways and will buy a new one if the old ones starts showing wear and tear.

I got my C5050 and PT-015 about 2 weeks ago. Have to wait a few month mefore I can take them below the surface. I'm so eager to use them I'm tempted to play with them in my bath tub :bounce: Thought about taking them to the pool, but didn't want to be mistaken as a pervert

What is food grade liquid silicon anyway? And where can I find it?

Dee:
Wayne....how long have you had your C-5060/PT-20 rig? I didn't think they had been out long enough for anyone to have that many dives on it...

The 170 dives is on the d-40z... the c-5060wz only has a few dozen Canada and Washington dives so far. The d-40z is super compact and takes good photos but is limited to one dive due to batteries. The c-5060wz has been great with the battery life and 1-gig cf... lasting several dives a day.

Oops...I should have read your post a little closer! Be sure and give us a review of the 5060 when you have a few dives on it.

diver69... it's a heat stable, non-staining, pure, dry silicone film that lubricates moving parts in food processing and packaging plants... it prevents jamming and production slowdown on bottling and packaging lines... can also be used on ovens and hoods to help from sticking and prolong time between cleanings... used by meat and poultry plants, packaging plants, container molding operations, industrial plants, printing trade, bottling plants, tank cannon parts, and Dee's camera. :wink:

Dee... I still have training wheels on my camera... a review from me would be like Homer Simpson explaining the mathematical framework behind the spectroscopy of the hydrogen atom in quantum theory... what ever that is :wink:

My signature Dive Pix-1 and -2 link photos from Sechelt Canada, Sund Rock & Tolmie Park WA, are all with the c-5060... apologies to any who have viewed... I need to learn to use manual settings quicker, but my eyesight screws me up... I really need a housing built in braille

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom