Mantis Shrimp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw a bunch of them a few days ago while making a bottle dive in Long Island Sound here in NY..They have their homes dug into the soft bottom now getting ready for winter.

I've seen them down in Punta Cana, odd looking things. The ones I saw were brightly colored blues and yellows. Oddly enough one shared a crevise with spiny lobsters.

DSC02107.jpg

I took this one a couple weeks ago ^_^

Unfortunately I lost my flash diffuser and the picture has a shadow from the lens... (no external strobe for this camera)

That is a peacock mantis aka Clown... One of the biggest and most powerful. Hit with the force of a .22 caliber bullet. It is a "smasher"... (there are "smashers" and "spearers")... It could bust open your finger with ease. They are extremely intelligent (like you would be amazed at what these things can do), They have the most advanced eyesight on this planet. The pop when they strike is the cavitation of the water and air so sometimes you will actually here 2 pops. Very, very impressive animal.
I know because I have kept them for many many years :)

Old post, but you gotta love the Mantis!!!

A prefessor of mine was careless and had his hand damaged for life.

Really? I have to admit, I 'volunteered' my finger once (well, I saw another diver do it first). It whacked my finger and made a very loud POP, but it didn't particularly hurt. Probably not a very good idea but it seemed funny and cute at the time.

Fortunately they can't break the acrylic port on the front of my video camera housing, only glass ones... or at least so I'm told.

Here are two of my weekly newspaper columns on our local Catalina/SoCal species:

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

They include color images.
Do you know of any that live in norcal? I don remember seeing any, but mostly dive around rocks or reefs..

Really? I have to admit, I 'volunteered' my finger once (well, I saw another diver do it first). It whacked my finger and made a very loud POP, but it didn't particularly hurt. Probably not a very good idea but it seemed funny and cute at the time.
There are different kinds. Some have hammer claws and bash, some have pointy clays and spear, others have edged claws and slash.

We get lots of these things here in the Philippines, I'm pretty sure all the ones I have seen were Peacock Smashing Mantis Shrimp, but all have tended to stand their ground when you see then then suddenly dart off in a second.

As mentioned they are good to photograph as they tend to stay pretty still for a while, I've got within a few inches with a camera and never had a back incident with one (yet :)!!!) they look strange when they 'run' off rather than swimming away, like a cross between a centipede and a small lobster.

I have quite a few pics of them but sadly only a few I can access at the moment! Here's a a small one from a recent dives in Anilao, Philippines.

[url=http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/142250][/URL]

The bigger they are the easier they are to photograph in general, most are about 6" but sometime to a much bigger!

Karl

Back
Top Bottom