Manual White Balance or Strobe on NC shipwrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I'm off to NC to dive the wrecks next week and I'm wondering if you guys think I should use the manual white balance or my D180 strobe on the wrecks. I'll be honest, I have never used the manual white balance on my C5050, but that shouldn't hinder me from doing it. Any suggestions?

You can do both but don't leave home with out the strobe.

yeah... do both and see what you like best.

Never dive without the strobe. Without a wide angle lens you will have to back away from the wrecks to get as much of them in the photo as possible. Too far away is not good either as respects digital noise in the photos. Non-strobe Manual White Balance will be your best bet at a distance of more than 4 or 5 feet, which is the strobes limits.
Even with the wide angle lens the no strobe MWB pics will be better than strobe pics of large wrecks in my opinion. That's assuming good visibilty.

I do have an Inon WAL2 lens, so that will definitely be going down, since I mainly bought it for shipwreck diving. Thanks all, and Gilligan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom