Manual white balance vs edit wb in post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought a Canon G7X (mark II) with the Canon housing and thought the auto WB function is impressive and seems to adjust well accordingly. Although the auto WB was too much for shallow snorkelling depths (up to 1m).

On my first trip with it to Thailand, for stills, shooting in RAW format for editing, I used auto white balance setting for general scenes, changing to a programmed setting (no auto WB) using the internal flash (and diffuser) for macro / close-up shots. The results were pretty good for both (but obviously only when really close for the flash setting), but the ambient conditions were good (great vis, sunshine & <18m (60ft) depth).
For video, I hadn't realised there's an auto WB setting for video (DOH!) so the colours were disappointing, except in optimal conditions. So I can't comment on the auto WB for video. Tbh, I originally thought I'd mainly be taking stills and so that's what I focussed on when trying to learn about underwater photography from a book I was reading during the trip and the cameras manual. I actually ended up having a lot of fun editing the video, although the video editing software WB correction didn't do a particularly good job (not that I expected it to).
For the stills, any WB correction required I did in RAW format using Canons free Digital Photo Professional 4 getting good results, editing the pics to what I thought looked most accurate, and aesthetically pleasing.
Unlike the G7x mark I, unfortunately you cant assign RING FUNC for 1 touch WB on the Mark II. I have thought about getting a white slate for manual WB but it seems like it could be a faff, with lots of menus to navigate, but I haven't fully investigated this yet.

Anyway, I've decided I need (would like) a light, so as a fairly budget conscious solution, I've just ordered a Fantasea Radiant 1000x light for video and stills/ focus light, which is small enough to fit nicely on the housing cold shoe. It will also do as a light for night dives! I know its not the brightest video light but it should help improve things, esp on deeper dives and when the ambient conditions aren't so good at shallower depths.

Question: using this light, would I still need the auto WB setting on or would there be enough light to produce accurate colours without WB correction?

By the way, the Canon G7X MII is a cracking camera all round!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom