Mapping a Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a link I have that someone sent me from another list I am on.

DennisS:
Good one!, I just e-mailed them for a price
So did I.

Sometimes I wonder what these companies think when their URL starts getting posted on these forums. :)

I sure hope these guys are not _real_ proud of their magic box. That thing would see quite a bit of use in my hands.

Robert Phillips:
Here is a link I have that someone sent me from another list I am on.
Thanks. I am trying to keep the laptop out of the kayak for the moment, but if the price of the magic box is too high, an eBay laptop and some tupperware is plan "B".

Okay, here's what I'm thunkin' so far:

Eagle makes a combination GPS and depth sounder device called the Cuda 240i.

http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Combo/cuda240isGPS.htm

Note the "i". It's important. That means that model has a NMEA 0183 interface, which is basically an RS-232 port that you can set up to send both the GPS and depth information as a constant stream to a storage device. The NMEA 0183 is described in the "NMEA Configuration (pdf)" at the same link above.

The Cuda 240 version (no interface) costs around $200, though I haven't been able to find the "i" version. Sounds like it's more popular in Europe? I think folks use it to connect to a marine radio to send location info.

Anyway, the 240i has an optional battery pack and portable transducer for portable use (typically the unit is powered by the 12v boat battery), which is described in the instruction manual on the Eagle site. The portable transducer is suction cup mounted so you can slap it on the back of a kayak. Not sure of the price.

Downside is that you're pretty limited on what else you can use this unit for besides mapping reefs and stuff. Unless of course you want to go fishing.

So I'm thinking that I could buy one of these units, along with the power pack and portable transducer, hook it up to a data logger (like the one mentioned previously), mount it all in a kayak and paddle around the reef while sipping a martini with my feet up, and then download the data from the logger to my PC at home when I'm done mapping. Then use the Windmill software linked in Robert's note, and BAM!! I've got a nice 3D map of the reef. Also, I can use the raw data to make a 2D topo map.

Depending on the cost of the datalogger (anyone get a response on price yet?), this might be do-able for under $300. Not bad.

mccabejc:
......and paddle around the reef while sipping a martini with my feet up, and then download the data from the logger to my PC at home when I'm done mapping. Then use the Windmill software linked in Robert's note, and BAM!! .....

Sometime I worry about you bro...........watching too much Emerald.

What's Emerald ?

Well I just heard back on the two NMEA input logger. They want $470. The search goes on.

DennisS:
Well I just heard back on the two NMEA input logger. They want $470. The search goes on.
I got the same price.

One idea I am kicking around is an obsolescent handheld that can take serial data at 4800 bps and put it in a file. My old Tandy 102 could do things like that. It is long gone.

Since I know little of handhelds, the learning curve is pretty steep.

$470 seems to be a little stiff for a unit that does not appear to be watertight.

Don, what do you mean by a handheld?

mccabejc:
Don, what do you mean by a handheld?
That would be a handheld computer. Since the speed and memory of those things has been increasing by leaps and bounds, older ones should be fairly cheap. The smaller unit should fit in a watertight housing more easily than a laptop would.

Back
Top Bottom