Mares abyss 22 or Scubapro s600 / also what do people think of the scubapro Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the AIR2 is concerned, I use one of those as well. I got into a semi-emergency situation on a night dive and realized that having your head cocked and locked in one place is a horrible place to be in those situations (the hoses make this a very uncomfortable reg to use. And dangerous if you ask me.). I immediately put a 6 foot hose as my primary and installed an octo with a necklace. Now the AIR2 is my third option. Really its just a very solid power inflator. I could lose my AIR2 as well and not lose any sleep.

How long is the corrugated hose on your BC? You really need a long flexible hose for an Air2. Also you need an octo length hose on your primary or else air sharing is a pita.

I had the inflator octo combo, and after a couple dives I sold it off. It really didn't save much space and it would be awkward to use in an emergency.

Hi Adaminhongkong,

As I was reading your thread, i was wondering if someone had written this about me! Very similar. Also in Hk and looking to buy my first BCD & Reg set.

Can you tell me your preffered suppliers in HK for price, variety and helpfulness?

I am also looking at the Scubapro Go, Aqualung Axiom ( considering with and without the i3). Was also looking at a couple of Cressi models, particularly some of their travel options as their prices are considerably lower, doesany one knowif this is represented in the quality?

Also looking at Regs, as far as traditional setups; Mk25 s600 and Mares Abyss 22. After reading some of the threads on here i am considering the Air2 option but this would depend on cost unfortunately.

FYI, the suppliers I usually look at are, Ocean Sky Diver, Dive Express and Froggy Divers on Kowloon side and ProDive and Bunn Divers in Wan Chai.

Have you considered HOG? What i've been reading recently is that they are very solid and reliable regulators without the high end cost. The arguments for/against HOG are really comparing them against other manufactors high end or high/mid setups. But the cost point is certinly much uch lower than other brands. just a recomendation to look at them befor making a decision.

If doing strictly recreational stuff Edge is a good option as well. I've sent Edge regs to Australia and have some going to Okinawa in a week or so.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers mate ill have a look at those bcds you mentioned I'm always up for other options.

---------- Post Merged at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:40 AM ----------

I normally shop around try and get a good price then go talk to Brian at prodive in wan chai.... He basically said he will beat anyone's price no matter what... Etc Etch here is ocean sky divers?

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Thanks sangp the transpack looks amazing never heard of it before but ppl online seem to love it from what I can see..... Thanks for your recommendation! Any other ideas on affordable gears that breath well at depth that don't cost the earth.....? Cheers mate!

Cheers mate ill have a look at those bcds you mentioned I'm always up for other options.

---------- Post Merged at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:40 AM ----------

I normally shop around try and get a good price then go talk to Brian at prodive in wan chai.... He basically said he will beat anyone's price no matter what... Etc Etch here is ocean sky divers?

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Thanks sangp the transpack looks amazing never heard of it before but ppl online seem to love it from what I can see..... Thanks for your recommendation! Any other ideas on affordable gears that breath well at depth that don't cost the earth.....? Cheers mate!

Anyday, the transpac is one of the earlier designs which allows the transportation of tanks over long distances so it's designed like a backpack. Anyway I'll go into more details about the transpac on the other forum section but if you wanted my opinion of a great reg for most of your trips around s.e.a then I would say get the aqualung titan lx.

Unless you are doing tech dives beyond 60m or so most regs breath fine anyway. I can barely tell the difference between my legend lx and apeks ds4 even at those depths.

The weight of the 1st and 2nd stage is lighter then the weight of a legend lx 1st stage. It might not be as refine a breath as a legend lx but its good enough for most conditions. At USD$445 or it's really affordable and you can pretty much service it anywhere in Asia cus it's an aqualung and shares it parts with most of the other aqualung regs.

If you really want to go bling and show off what you have in your mouth the legend lux and the scubapro mk25/a700 is the way to go however, I would say stay away from these regs for the time being. First the prices are way too much, 2 they get banged up anyway and whatever it looked like in the showroom will end up looking up worn anyway after 50 dives lol!

Titan lx you save usd$200 and 400g in weight. You could also look at the scubapro mk17/G250V but the titan lx is cheaper and more inconspicuous (less theft worthy).

Cheers.

I really like the Abyss. The only con is the hose for the reg is stiff. I would like to change to myflex hose for the main reg. Great breather with no knobs. I have had them for years now.
Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first BCD and Reg... I will do all my diving travelling around sth est asia diving challenging sites so I want to have good kit.... In a few years I'm looking to do instructor etc so will be using it every day there too.

I was going to get the scubapro mk25 s600 which all my mates recommend but...... its freaking expensive.... !!!
Most of the stuff I've read online ppl say the mares abyss 22 is just as good smaller and half the price....

Do ppl agree......?

Also as I want to have a travel setup and I was thinking to save space getting the Scubapro GO BCD with the air2 alternate air course connected to my inflator to save having to carry an octopus with me ect when traveling. The guy I talked to at a popular dive shop in Hong Kong where I live said he could get it done way cheap at the scubapro factory for only around 100US instead of putting it on once the bcd is in the shop etc for more than

What do ppl think of these type of set ups with an alternate air scourse on your inflator hose..... GOOD OR BAD?

Any suggestions would be great guys!

Adam

if you have the mr22 abyss make sure to get the 1/2" hose for your primary. mares has a part number for it. theres is called superflex hose. i have them on all my regs they are nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom