Mares Abyss + MR22/MR52 regset.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably not for that. Personally Iike all standard size ports so I can use standard long hoses. ymmv.

The one thing to consider is the hose routing if you intend to use 2 of them for dual first stages. All of the hoses will need to point downward when the regs are on the tanks. You'll need 2 lp and one hp port on one side of the reg all pointing in roughly the same direction. The offset HP port on the MR22 makes me think that your hose routing will look gibbled. The MR52 looks more suitable for this application to me.

Once again, i'll mention the caveat that I don't use these regs so get advice from people using them as well.

R..

I i turn the regs DFC-ports down, i will have on the primary reg(behind my right shoulder), longhose and drysuite facing down and HP-SPG 45* down to center. and on the secondary reg shorthose/bcd down and the HP-transmitter 45* down-out.

Or switch SPG and transmitter.

I think the only difference (hoserouting-wise) is the angel of the HP ports.

I more thinking that the LP ports are in the same plane- sotosay, so the reg-hose will go down closer to the backplate than the inflator-hose. But thats maybe is not a big issue.

I think I have only had to replace one hose in 15 years. You can buy a lot of hoses for the $170 price difference.
You will happy with either reg set though.

Yes, but it is more hoses to carry around.

If i like to dive singles, 1 longhose 1/2" 1 shorthose 3/8"
When doubles both hoses 1/2"

If i don't skip to use the DFC port and use two 3/8" ports an plug the 1/2" port on the backup first stage.

Last edited:
I think the only difference (hoserouting-wise) is the angel of the HP ports.

Yeah, that's what I was noticing but since I've never tried it on that particular reg I can't be 100% sure how much of a PITA it will be.

If you use a transmitter, you'd really like it to be tucked away under the other stuff so you don't bang it on something, for example, when diving wrecks. The MR22 looks like it would leave the transmitter pointing out to the side, which isn't really where you want it.

You might find it ok if you use a miflex HP hose because they're more flexible.

Also, I don't know if you can get 1/2 inch long-hoses unless you get them custom made. I've personally never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

R..

Yeah, that's what I was noticing but since I've never tried it on that particular reg I can't be 100% sure how much of a PITA it will be.

If you use a transmitter, you'd really like it to be tucked away under the other stuff so you don't bang it on something, for example, when diving wrecks. The MR22 looks like it would leave the transmitter pointing out to the side, which isn't really where you want it.

But the hp port facing 45* angle down make me think it would be more protected, if I point it down-center(inbetween tanks), it should be more protected than if it faces straight out. like most regs have them with single setup.

Maybe I'm not visualizing it right but it seems to me that the offset would make the transmitter point to the outside.... You think it would point to the middle?

R..

Also, I don't know if you can get 1/2 inch long-hoses unless you get them custom made. I've personally never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

R..

Yes, there are 210cm 1/2" longhoses from miflex, but they ones i found is ~50€ more than the 3/8".

Maybe I'm not visualizing it right but it seems to me that the offset would make the transmitter point to the outside.... You think it would point to the middle?

R..

There are 2HP fittings, both 45* down, on oposit side. if you turn the regs "bottom in" you have them pointing inwards. One 45* up. one 45* down

If I remember correctly the MR22 1/2" port has a dfc tube thingy right in the middle and not all replacement hoses will fit.

Probably not for that. Personally Iike all standard size ports so I can use standard long hoses. ymmv.

The one thing to consider is the hose routing if you intend to use 2 of them for dual first stages. All of the hoses will need to point downward when the regs are on the tanks. You'll need 2 lp and one hp port on one side of the reg all pointing in roughly the same direction. The offset HP port on the MR22 makes me think that your hose routing will look gibbled. The MR52 looks more suitable for this application to me.

Once again, i'll mention the caveat that I don't use these regs so get advice from people using them as well.

R..

Remember, on Scubaboard, the fact that you don't use these regs makes you that much more qualified to give advice. :)

That's why I'm being clear about it mate. What I am qualified to talk about is hose routing and setting up regulators for diving doubles, which is where I offered advice.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom