Mares fin buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just bought some Mares fins and wonder what others think of the fin buckles? I haven't had a chance to get them in the water yet but the other day when trying them on with various boties, dry suit etc I found the buckles very stiff and difficult to operate. The relese mechanism was very stiff and snapped open forcefully enough to leave my fingers bruised. Will they loosen up with use? Also to get them loose enough to take the fin off it looks like I will probably need to release both buckles on each fin which I think will be a little difficult in full gear (it is relatively easy to get to the inside buckles but takes quite a bit of effort, especially with my bad back, to get to the outside buckles)

I also find the strap length adjustment difficult. I have to make sure the strap is on the right angle or it is incredibly difficult to pull the strap through. Definitely much more difficult to operate than my old Tusa fins.

Do others have problems. I probably shouldn't be too concerned until I have tried them for a few dives but I am already wondering if i should replace them with spring straps.

Hi there, you are right about the knocks that your fingers take when unlocking the Mares buckles, however mine do seem to operate a lot better when i undo them in the water, i havnt noticebly had this problem for sometime now, so i would say they get easier with use, but my bottom line is that im happy with them

Mine were tight at first but are a bit easier to get off now. I dont mind that much since I feel a bit more comfortable knowing it isnt going to pop open.

They seem to get easier to open after a few dives. I tend to leave them all in the unlocked position and just open one buckle on each leg when putting them on or taking them off. This should give you enough room to take them off. I have over 100 dives on them without any problems or having them open while unlocked and this is in strong currents as well.

The strap adjustments should be just a matter of pulling the end of the strap. To loosen the strap, push the button and move it in the opposite direction. I think you just need to get used to them.

I don't know if this helps, but after dives I rinse them and make sure both buckles are open. I leave them in the open position while in storage.

Don't forget to remove that mesh like shape holding thing inside the fins. I once saw someone try to dive with them while they were still in there :)

AZ

I have never tried opening when dry out of water with ungloved hands. I think the clamping mechanism is great. I only have one open to clamp down when I am in the water. I just got mine. With gloved hands I have not figured out to open them. Thank you about the advice for storage; it makes sense. The tension of the strap it easy to tighten by gently pulling on the strap.

I can open them with gloves or without. I think it just takes a bit of getting used to. I really like them, but then again these are the only fins I've owned. Keeping them both unlocked has worked for me. I think they are a bit heavy, but then again they are great in stong current.

AZ

I have just bought some Mares fins and wonder what others think of the fin buckles? I haven't had a chance to get them in the water yet but the other day when trying them on with various boties, dry suit etc I found the buckles very stiff and difficult to operate. The relese mechanism was very stiff and snapped open forcefully enough to leave my fingers bruised. Will they loosen up with use? Also to get them loose enough to take the fin off it looks like I will probably need to release both buckles on each fin which I think will be a little difficult in full gear (it is relatively easy to get to the inside buckles but takes quite a bit of effort, especially with my bad back, to get to the outside buckles)

I also find the strap length adjustment difficult. I have to make sure the strap is on the right angle or it is incredibly difficult to pull the strap through. Definitely much more difficult to operate than my old Tusa fins.

Do others have problems. I probably shouldn't be too concerned until I have tried them for a few dives but I am already wondering if i should replace them with spring straps.
Try to get the new ABS Plus buckles, they open more like a standard buckle. I find they are much nicer than the standard ABS buckles of old.

Mares - stand for diving

If this is what you have already and they are that stiff, try to see if Mares will exchange them. Or, go to spring straps (another good option)

Hi there, you are right about the knocks that your fingers take when unlocking the Mares buckles, however mine do seem to operate a lot better when i undo them in the water, i havnt noticebly had this problem for sometime now, so i would say they get easier with use, but my bottom line is that im happy with them
I noticed Mares has a 2 year warranty on their fins. Did they take care of the delamination problem?

Back
Top Bottom