Mares HD Icon vs. Oceanic VTX vs. Oceanic Oci + question about backups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scublibre

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi-

Looking to upgrade for the first time from analog SPGs to wristwatch DC! After 18 years of diving, I finally get to upgrade all of my kit.

I've narrowed down the list to the Mares HD Icon, Oceanic VTX and Oceanic Oci - all wristwatch, AI dive computers at similar price points.

On paper, I think my choice would be the VTX because of the user interface but it has such terrible reviews which is weird because the Oci has fairly decent reviews. The nice LEDs are great but more important to me is integration with my computer, seamlessly. I had my dive logbook in a car that was stolen, wiping away my history of 200+ dives overnight. I never want that to happen again!

So, what are your thoughts here? ALSO IMPORTANT QUESTION: What do you guys do for backup SPG, those who dive with wristwatches? Do you stick with analog or back it up with another computer? I was thinking of adding on an Aladin 3H-TEC to my kit as the backup.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. No I don't want a Perdix/ any of the Shearwater computers.

I will add my $.02.

I have been diving with the OCi for about 2 months. I have about 30 dives on it. It has performed flawlessly on each and every dive. Pressure always displayed accurately. The USB connection works great, and after downloading the correct IRDA (?) driver for my MacBook Pro, syncing has been problem free as well. I use the MacDive software, and while the software is not perfect, it downloads my dives from the OCi without issue.

I considered the VTX, but decided to wear the computer full time, as both my dive computer and my everyday wristwatch. Something the VTX does not lend itself to easily.

I can not comment on the Mares computer.

Backup SPG? Nope. I have my gage/hose in my gear bag if needed, but I have never had an issue with the pressure transmitter/display pressure of the computer. So no backup for me. I am just pretty darn familiar with my air usage and I always pressure check my tank before setting up on it.

YMMV,
Michael

Thanks Michael... very useful.

Im primarily a rec diver - not planning on doing any technical diving minus eventually doing nitrox. I won't be using this as an everyday wrist watch but still leaning towards the OCi.

What does the battery last usually?

I love my Icon. It never loses connection, easy to read, easy to pair. The short battery life is its worst fault, but plugging it in each night, just like a cell phone is no biggie, and keeps the battery level topped up. I even got a second transmitter for sidemount, but haven't actually used it that way yet. Probably won't ,since I keep my spg's where I just have to glance over to see them.
I keep it on night mode all the time and have no issues reading it any time.

I love my Icon. It never loses connection, easy to read, easy to pair. The short battery life is its worst fault, but plugging it in each night, just like a cell phone is no biggie, and keeps the battery level topped up. I even got a second transmitter for sidemount, but haven't actually used it that way yet. Probably won't ,since I keep my spg's where I just have to glance over to see them.
I keep it on night mode all the time and have no issues reading it any time.

Thanks Olphart... do you feel like you usually get through 3-5 dives no problem with it on a daily basis? Do you use analog gauge as backup?

My OCi would have been two years old in August and I just replaced the batteries last month. As others have mentioned, I have had no issues with its performance. The tank pressure readings have never been in doubt. The only issue that I ever had was when I changed my desktop computer to Windows 10 - I also changed to the new release of the Oceanic software which seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks Olphart... do you feel like you usually get through 3-5 dives no problem with it on a daily basis? Do you use analog gauge as backup?

Yup 3-5 dives easily. I have been using an spg as backup, but getting to the point where I may leave it off. OTOH, it doesn't take up much real estate.
I very seldom look at it and when I guesstimate my remaining gas before checking, I'm always pretty close, lately underestimating more often than not. (I've been working on improving my rmv.)
I've been taught that the spg should be confirming what you already know. I probably check my gas more often than most, having had to surface from 75' on 100 psi once many years ago. It wasn't pleasant, but ended well.

I wish the VTX had more validated, positive user responses. Its a nice in between between the massive Icon HD (too big for me after consideration) and the OCi (no qualms - but I like the OLED VTX screen).

Does anybody here use a VTX?

I have none of the above. But I do have an Oceanic Atom 3.0 w/AI, which is pretty similar to the OCi.

I've been using it for about a year and a half and have roughly 100 dives on it. I replaced the battery in the computer once, so far. The battery in the AI transmitter still shows as "Good", so I haven't replaced it yet. It has been so reliable that the last time I messed around with my reg set, I took my backup mechanical SPG off and haven't missed it.

I would expect similar performance from the OCi.

I also had a Petrel 2 for a while and replaced it with a Seabear H3 (which is also a color OLED screen). I pretty much always dive with the Atom and the H3 (or Petrel when I had that). Since the Atom has my tank pressure, I generally mostly only look at it and not the H3. Readability on the Atom LCD is fine in all conditions. The OLED screen on the H3 can be hard to read if there is bright sunlight and I have read the same comment about the VTX screen. If it's bright sunlight on the surface, the H3 screen can be nigh-on impossible to read in some situations (on the surface).

Based on what you said about your needs and desires, I would probably go with the OCi. Or find an Atom 3.0 or 3.1.

Back
Top Bottom