Mares Matrix for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a beginner. However, I also have a Nitrox cert and intend to dive with that when possible. That and my requirement for backlit screen and a few other things take some of the entry level computers out of the running.

My OW/Nitrox course was with an instructor that was more technical minded, so I'm planning on adopting that perspective with my gear. ex. Donate primary and retain back-up on a necklace.

Getting an advanced cert would be my short-term goal. My eventual goal would be to work towards a self-sufficient/solo cert (100+ dives from now).

I pick up my BC (HOG) and regulators (HOG D3 w/Zenith) tomorrow. I went that route because I used them during my course, I liked them, and they were decent enough gear that I shouldn't be itching to upgrade too soon.

I've got the same outlook on the computer. I would rather go ahead and get a computer that I will being happy with for a while (feature and accessibility wise) then settle for something that I'm not going to be happy with from day one and can't wait to get rid of.
Can I suggest just doing some dives and see how it goes? The best plans can fall apart when faced with reality.

Don’t expect to buy kit as a beginner that will last forever. Your first car will have informed you so that your second was a better fit. Faster, or bigger, or more economical, easier to park, or more comfortable, whatever, but with experience you can make better judgements for yourself and your particular circumstances.

Can I suggest just doing some dives and see how it goes? The best plans can fall apart when faced with reality.

Don’t expect to buy kit as a beginner that will last forever. Your first car will have informed you so that your second was a better fit. Faster, or bigger, or more economical, easier to park, or more comfortable, whatever, but with experience you can make better judgements for yourself and your particular circumstances.

I don't expect the stuff I'm going with to last forever. I'm just hoping to buy stuff that's decent enough that I won't feel the need to upgrade in six months.

I don't expect the stuff I'm going with to last forever. I'm just hoping to buy stuff that's decent enough that I won't feel the need to upgrade in six months.
The best way to do that is to stop reading diving forums :)

Read yachting or powerboat forums. They can always find something unaffordable but better than what you have, no matter your income. Exhaust your need for shiny stuff there and then dive what is cheap, easy and works.

Bought my first nitrox computer(Uwatec Aladin) in 1997 and Apeks regs in 1998. They are still my work horses.
If you shop carefully, you probably never need to "up-grade" any of your purchases.
Happy shopping.

Hopefully get to try it out this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_141608.jpg
    IMG_20181025_141608.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 102
Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there about the Matrix, now that I've used it a few times:

-The screen is easy to read. In dark conditions though, it's easier to just shine your light on it than to reach for the back-light button. That's just my opinion.

-It's right on (ex. depth, temperature, etc.) compared to the Suunto and Perdix computers that my dive buddies have used.

-The download function is easy enough to figure out.

-The Mares Dive Organizer program is simple and user friendly. It's fun to check out all of the data that it's gathered after the dive. You can upload pictures from your dive into the dive log and include your own notes about the dive.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there about the Matrix, now that I've used it a few times:

-The screen is easy to read. In dark conditions though, it's easier to just shine your light on it than to reach for the back-light button. That's just my opinion.

-It's right on (ex. depth, temperature, etc.) compared to the Suunto and Perdix computers that my dive buddies have used.

-The download function is easy enough to figure out.

-The Mares Dive Organizer program is simple and user friendly. It's fun to check out all of the data that it's gathered after the dive. You can upload pictures from your dive into the dive log and include your own notes about the dive.

Hello Barnaby'sDad,

I just found this topic about Mares Matrix, and i wnat to know what is your opinion after some time with this computer ? Is the battery still works fine ?

I'm also looking for a first dive computer, but looking for something that i can use for some years.. And i really enjoy the menu of this Mares Matrix, looks quite easy to navigate.

Thanks in advance

Good evening. I've got another ~14 dives on it. I'm still happy with it for the most part. The only thing I really don't like about it is the date set menu and format. I've found that if you shut it off for a period of time, you may have to reset the date.

The date display format in the computer is not intuitive. After getting annoyed at having dives logged in the computer with the incorrect date (you can go back and change it in your e-log...but it doesn't change in the computer itself), I began just leaving it powered on and charging it every couple of weeks (it can last on charge for a while between dives). However, where the battery is supposedly good for something like 500 power cycles, that's going to impact how long the battery will last.

For my use of it this weekend...I fully charged the battery yesterday afternoon, unplugged it yesterday evening, did two dives with it today, and it's at 78%.

When I was on vacation recently (two dives per day), I charged it every couple of days and I didn't have an issue with it. If you're not going to have access to power for multiple days, I would say that this is probably not the optimum dive computer.

Switching between gas blends is easy enough (I run Nitrox). You can store three at a time. Changing that from one tank to the next (depending on actual tank O2 percentage) is the only real modification that I tend to make between tanks. That and if I'm going from fresh water to salt water.

I will say that I purchased mine "new old stock" from a ScubaBoard member. She had it laying around her shop for a period of time (the box had some a lot of wear, so it had clearly been moved around). I'm guessing that mine is at least a couple years old, as Mares seems to be selling the Matrix II at the moment.

I got a decent deal on mine and I would say influences why I'm content with it (I like getting a deal). That being said, I would not pay $450 for this computer. While the menus are easy to navigate (one of the main reasons that I bought it), the display quality is poor. If you can get a deal on one...go for it. Otherwise...I'd save up a bit more and go for the Deep 6 computer at $600 instead. For only another $150...the display on the Deep 6 computer will blow you away (I got to check one out a couple months back).

Triton's Abacus

The battery in the Deep 6 computer is user replaceable. You're going to want to sent the Matrix off to Mares to get the battery replaced. They pressure test it and everything to make sure that it's good to go. If you go the Matrix route and get a new one...you'll already have one logged dive. That's them running it at ~50M to test it.

Edit: If you're outside the U.S. and Canada...see the link below.

Divecomputer.eu - multifunctional dive computer

@Barnaby'sDad ,what do you mean by Matrix II? As far as I can tell, it's "old" Matrix with FW update (which I did).
I used my Matrix on 7 days, two dives per day, without charging. Had about 35% battery left.
One thing to be careful about, after FW update, if you put it in "deep sleep" after dive, it will not desaturate at all until you turn it on again.
Mine is 4 years old with about 70 dive on it.

@Barnaby'sDad ,what do you mean by Matrix II? As far as I can tell, it's "old" Matrix with FW update (which I did).
I used my Matrix on 7 days, two dives per day, without charging. Had about 35% battery left.
One thing to be careful about, after FW update, if you put it in "deep sleep" after dive, it will not desaturate at all until you turn it on again.
Mine is 4 years old with about 70 dive on it.

A little while back, I was reading online about a Matrix II/2. I saw pictures with "Matrix II" on the bottom of the face...instead of "Matrix," but I can't find them at the moment. With the proliferation of photo editing software these days, it could be that someone just photo-shopped that the "II" (the pictures were not on a Mares endorsed website).

On the battery life...that's why I was careful to caveat that I bought it second hand (even though it was unused) and it's age is unknown (though I assume it to be roughly as old as yours).

Putting mine into sleep mode ended up with me having to reset the date which was a bigger pain (to me) than the value gained from the additional battery life. So yes...there is a way to extend the battery life beyond what I'm currently experiencing, but it's not worth the hassle to me.

Back
Top Bottom