Mares Metal Tech Limited Edition, really as good as they say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geniuz

Reaction score
I went to my LDS today to pick up a new snorkel and mask (Pure Vision Mares btw. IT ROCKS:)) and started talking about buying my own gear.

The guy from the local diving shop was totally excited about the Abyss. But I told him I'd probably would take my gear up in the plane (on holidays) and that I read that the Mares Abyss first stage was awfully heavy.

So he adviced me to buy the Mares Metal Tech Limited Edition because it was almost exactly the same as the Abyss but has the lightest first stage he had ever used. He said it was top notch in that price-range.

Now I wanna know; is it really that good?

PS. The guy told me he didn't care about the Limited stuff, he just really liked this reg.

The limited reg is pretty cool. It is simply a Proton Metal with a new 1st stage, very small and light. But the performance of the 1st stage is pretty much the same as the MR22 abyss 1st which is probably 3 times as heavy.

When Mares brought them out, they had a very high price tag on them, and didn't allow any internet sales... that didn't work out all that well for them, and they ended up taking most all of them in the states back.

At a decent price, I was interested in them, so I just bought Mares entire supply of all available regs and BCs. So I literally have hundreds of them.

I didn't much care about the whole limited thing myself... But the Limited Morphos BC, or the Limited Proton, each for $399 - that's a pretty sweet deal.

It would really run about the same for an abyss... and some prefer the abyss as it's an old standby with the new look for 05, and some prefer the smaller, and redesigned 1st stage that uses the new spherical core seat... It's kinda' a coin toss in my book.

I have the Pure Vision too - and it is fantastic!

I bought the Mares MR12 Proton - as they are very light, small and so comfy - good for travelling.

I highly recommend you check them out.

scubatoys:
The limited reg is pretty cool. It is simply a Proton Metal with a new 1st stage, very small and light. But the performance of the 1st stage is pretty much the same as the MR22 abyss 1st which is probably 3 times as heavy.

When Mares brought them out, they had a very high price tag on them, and didn't allow any internet sales... that didn't work out all that well for them, and they ended up taking most all of them in the states back.

At a decent price, I was interested in them, so I just bought Mares entire supply of all available regs and BCs. So I literally have hundreds of them.

I didn't much care about the whole limited thing myself... But the Limited Morphos BC, or the Limited Proton, each for $399 - that's a pretty sweet deal.

It would really run about the same for an abyss... and some prefer the abyss as it's an old standby with the new look for 05, and some prefer the smaller, and redesigned 1st stage that uses the new spherical core seat... It's kinda' a coin toss in my book.

Hi, Larry,

Alan. Remember me ?
Now I know why you have so many LE stuff in stock :D :D

To other divers who are curious about the a Mares Morphos LE BC,
This BC is really really gorgeous, although I haven't got a chance to give it a try
under water.
I bought it from Larry who always answers my questions with patience.:05:

Alan

From Mares ;

"The LE is a good reg., your dive shop will be able to inform you as to if the Proton Ice is better for the type of diving you do. The LE reg is good for cold and warm water, it's really your choice as to if you would like to switch to another reg. The Proton Ice is good for Ice diving, and performs ok in warm water. It all depends on where your diving and what kind of diving you will be doing. The Proton Ice Extreme was approved for US military use. Again your dive shop will know your type of diving and will be the best one to discuss what is the best reg for you. Out of the three you are asking about the LE reg is a goold over all reg for all type of diving, the Ice is better for Ice diving and the Extreme is a good reg performs great in all conditions.

The LE is a v32 first stage."

And before I forget; I have one, and it's great.

FYI, attach to my first stage is a proton ice octo, you never know :wink:

Hi,

Is this "Mares Metal Tech Limited Edition" basicaly the same as the Mares V42 proton metal?
Has somebody already experience with this reg?

According to some sites (not to all) the DFC port also seems to have move 3.8" UNF.
The mares website does not have the details yet :-(

Rgds,

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom