Mares Mission SPG cover fastening failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

high/baric

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

To start off, I apologise if a similar question has been asked and answered already, but despite my best efforts I haven't been able to do a proper search on this forum using TapaTalk.

That said, I have an unusual problem with my 2 years old Mares Mission 2 (the SPG part). I'll give you a quick rundown in case someone else has the same problem in the future and finds it helpful. I flew to Asia for some diving a couple of weeks ago and found the background scale skewed counter-clockwise by about 200 bars. The couple of DMs that I showed the SPG had no idea what could have happened and thought it was broken for good, so I dived with a replacement for a while. I was still a little sceptical about the hopeless condition of the device and a couple of days ago I mustered my courage and opened the thing up. Turns out that the front cover is held in place by three very thin ridges (protrusions? not sure of the right word) of plastic that lock it in place when you rotate the cover. One of those had failed and the cover was not sitting securely. Although it's impossible to say what truly caused it to break, I suspect the drop of outside pressure (and thus relatively high pressure under the sealed cover) during the flight resulted in the thin plastic to fail and release the pressure within. Another thing that supports this theory is that this was the first time I have put my entire dive rig (regulator included) to checked luggage. After realising this I removed the front cover, realigned the scale and assembled it as best I could with a damaged cover.

I have now done a couple of dives with it and even though the cover is not secured, the o-ring seal has held through the dives without any indication of leaking. I cannot be completely confident with it, however, and would like to have the cover replaced if possible. On the Mares website I have found a tool to search for dealers in my home county (Finland), but no clear indication as to which of them are also official repair or service centers. Visiting the websites of some of them I found out that many do provide service for Mares regulators, but none that would say they service other gear as well. Also, the cost of mailing my SPG to some of these centers would be quite high. On the other hand, if I could just mail order a new cover for the SPG, with it and a little o-ring lubricant, I could probably repair the thing myself, saving considerably in the expenses. I doubt that the design of these parts has much changed in the past two years and will probably have to take it with me in the cabin from now on.

So my question is, is it possible to order such a replacement part for my SPG and if not, could anyone name a center in Finland that could fix it for me?

Best regards and safe diving,
Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom