Mares new limited edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry, it was supposed to be REVOLUTIONARY. That is what he said, that was the hype. Ok, please explain what part of this eqipment is revolutionary other than the hype itself. No one is saying it is not great gear, beautiful gear, high quality and all that but REVOLUTIONARY! I don't think so---this stuff is so far from revolutionary that if this was the Founding Fathers version of Revolution we would all still be singing Hail to that Queen person over there and her dip----- soon to be King son. No, he was wrong, this is kinda like the old time Snake Oil salesman. Hey, does the use of Mares Limited make your hair grow back or provide a tongue massage? N

stefano di martino:
Dear all,

I have read a lot of different emails concerning my getting in Scubaboard.
I love confrontation and discussion but I hope it is fare and proactive and not always based on the past or negative.

While there's absolutely no guarantee of any of that, I for one hope you stay here and keep posting anyway.

jonnythan:
That's fine with us. The problem is not that Mares introduced Limited Edition Metal gear. Good for them, let them make it, let people buy it.

The PROBLEM is that the CEO of the company came to ScubaBoard and touted his company's new, cosmetically altered, super expensive gear as gear that will REVOLUTIONIZE the SCUBA industry.

It was the WRONG thing to do.

I repeat my earlier post that if the word "revolutionary" had not been used, the whole point behind this thread would be moot. Mares did not live up to what they advertised. That is not to say the products are not superb quality but they are not "revolutionary". It's too bad that are not talking much about how good the new products are but Mares created this situation. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to buy whatever diving equipment I want and as a gadget freak I'm always looking for something new. From the advertising I thought I had found something. Amazing how one little word can change our whole view. I agree totally with you jonnythan.

I would have to say that the advertising campaign was pretty successful. Look at how many postings have appeared in this thread alone. Even those who aren't impressed with the products (and hate the way they were promoted) have been successful at generating enough "buzz" to get a lot more people looking at these products than might otherwise have.

Someone earlier suggested Mares "get a new marketing firm". I'd say, give them a bonus!

hey everyone

You know, I didn't even know anything about this whole brouhaha until ten minutes ago when I noticed this thread for the first time. I'm certainly not in the market for any of this supposed ritzy limited edition stuff, and I'm already unfavorably disposed towards Mares after what they did with Dacor. But reading through this saga, to me, it kind of epitomizes this rotten dance that marketing types and consumers are constantly locked in, and the Mares/Dacor Two-Step in particular. Personally I always thought their products were more style than substance; well, Dacor more than Mares, but just because I didn't know anything about Mares, but now since they're the same company...

At any rate: the build up, the oohs and aaahs and Only-Two-More-Days-Until-The-Big-Unveiling-I'm-So-Excited!!!!'s, and the inevitable sinking feeling in the collective gut turning to vengeful wrath...I dunno, but personally, and please don't flame me, I'm juuuust a little bit amused. I'm awfully sorry, I mean, that your high hopes got dashed, I'd be pissed too, but the prerelease hysteria you guys expressed in this thread at times did seem a little, I dunno, unbecoming of serious, experienced divers. More like giddy preteens waiting for the newest Playstation variant. And the trust in the marketing--This Will Change Everything. Not.

This kind of thing is a perfect example of why I think marketing people and the big arrogant corporations who employ them are swine, and why I for one refuse to buy in to the whole image/pricetag-conscious aspect of our sport. A personalized reg?? For $700+?? You have got to be joking. Kinda like those limited edition Leica M-series cameras that come in a polished oak display case or whatever, and cost like $5000...

You know, there's something to be said for not watching TV or reading magazines, if you know what I mean.

Please accept my apologies if I seem like some clueless smartass making wisecracks at your expense, but I had to throw my two cents into this thread. This has all the makings for a bestselling book--suspense, drama, conflict, a little comic relief, underlying message...

cheers

Billy S.

ChrisA:
I'll come out and say that Mares did the right thing. They only made 2000 of these. THat's about the right number. here are quite a few people who really don't care if something cots an extra 500 bucks or not. There are people around here who can afford to buy thier high school
kid a $30,000 car. Nothing wrong with having money to spend. the LE is NOT mass market equipment. I'm sure there are at least 2000 peole in the world who would want this.

On the other hand if Mares had made tens of tousands of these I'd say thier managment was nuts. They didn't and they arn't. This is a "marketing thing" designed to extract a preimum price from those who can afford to pay. I think it will work.

You have to look at the purpose of something and evaluate it relative to it's purpose. If you think the purpose of the Mares Limited Edition is to supply Joe Diver with economical durable equipment then LE is a faiure but that's not the purpose. It is designed to sell to a very linited market segment who is willing to pay a premium just to be different.

I buy gear bye looksing at performance and duribility relative to price and I'll wait for sales. I'm not the person LE was designed for,

You know what? You're right, Mares will sell out of these but they didn't have to say it was "revolutionary" to do it... :crafty:

jonnythan:
That's fine with us. The problem is not that Mares introduced Limited Edition Metal gear. Good for them, let them make it, let people buy it.

The PROBLEM is that the CEO of the company came to ScubaBoard and touted his company's new, cosmetically altered, super expensive gear as gear that will REVOLUTIONIZE the SCUBA industry.

It was the WRONG thing to do.

The merits or not of the product are one thing, but I really don't understand the above sentiment. That a CEO of a major company comes to SB and opens himself up for feedback directly from ordinary divers is great in my book. That he also supports his own product is simply normal - what else would you expect him to do? If you don't agree with him - fine - but to say that he shouldn't have come is amazing, especially seeing as you are making a lot of accusations about the product without any first hand experience yourself.

Moogyboy:
At any rate: the build up, the oohs and aaahs and Only-Two-More-Days-Until-The-Big-Unveiling-I'm-So-Excited!!!!'s, and the inevitable sinking feeling in the collective gut turning to vengeful wrath...I'm awfully sorry, I mean, that your high hopes got dashed, I'd be pissed too, but the prerelease hysteria you guys expressed in this thread at times did seem a little, I dunno, unbecoming of serious, experienced divers.

This reminded me of a bit of advice I once got: The key to a happy life is low expectations...The idea being that if you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed...

BUT...I, like many of the posters here, have high expectations of my gear and those expectations transfer to the companies that make it. Being in Australia, it is interesting to hear some of the gripes on this thread as I think Mares and Dacor have a better reputation here than in the USA (my native country)...I've had nothing but positive experiences (my own experiences, not second hand) with Mares gear and this campaign won't change my buying habits, but this thread provides interesting comment on my/our expectations...What are we looking for in gear? Why do we buy what we buy? What do we expect?

WileEDiver:
I would have to say that the advertising campaign was pretty successful. Look at how many postings have appeared in this thread alone. Even those who aren't impressed with the products (and hate the way they were promoted) have been successful at generating enough "buzz" to get a lot more people looking at these products than might otherwise have.

Someone earlier suggested Mares "get a new marketing firm". I'd say, give them a bonus!

Huge difference between a lot of folks talking about a product, and a bunch of folks pissed off and talking about how a particular product is a load of horse-hockey.

One creates positive feelings... the other costs you big time in the long run.

Like I said before - how'd you like to be a Mares dealer next time Mares tells you to tell your important customers about a "new exciting innovation?" Mares just threw away their corporate credibility when it comes to issues like this. That's going to cost them a whole lot more than they realize.

Maybe we can agree to disagree. If not, I'll agree to disagree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom