Mares Parts and Service (split from Mares new limited edition)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you can send it to Scubatoys. I don't think you will ever be able to get parts for servicing your own regs. Yes, you probably can do it but I am betting there has to be some sort of liability issue with that or at least a warranty issue.

I really don't want to fan the flames, but...

Nemrod:
[...]I should be able to walk into a Mares shop and there should be rebuild kits [...] ready to go for every regulator they sell at least back a decade.
[...]
The one in question now is not my newest Mares, it is a circa 1989 Mares MR12 and I want a rebuild kit for both stages.

So, we're actually talking about a 15+ year old reg...

Nemrod:
Maybe I should just send it to ScubaToys or another quality dive store for repair. I am fully capable of installing the parts myself actually.

...and you haven't actually tried sending it to a service center that might have the parts; you just want them yourself. (Which, incidentally, is against the custom of every major and most minor reg manufacturers selling in the U.S.)

Despite the parts availability policy (that is unchanged and identical to that of every major and most minor reg manufacturers selling in the U.S.)...

Nemrod:
This has been a continuing issue with me on every single Mares regulator I have owned since I can remember.

...and that you are fully aware of, you continue to buy their product.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm not understanding the issue that has you so wound up.

Lairdb, you are jumping to conclusions. The regulator has been taken to several Mares stores and they had no parts and as I clearly stated this has not been with just this regulator. This has been a continuing issue with other Mares gear I have owned over many years, NEW and old. No, it has not been sent to ScubaToys. I should not have to search all over for service and in fact should not have to send it anywhere but to the nearest Mares store.

Do I send my Toyota to Japan for service or do I take it to a nearby dealer--of course it goes to a nearby dealer as does my gear and these "dealers" should have parts and support.

Well, here we go again, with throw away vs built to last. The regulator looks like new and only needs a rebuild kit. I am not throwing it away, it is a good unit and again as clearly stated I have a pair of NEW Proton Metals. So, you buy a new regulator every few years?, well, in that case you are the Perfect Mares Customer! How old is to old?, as stated I feel the service should extend back at least 10 to 15 years. I think a 500 dollar regulator ought to last more than a couple of years.

As to getting the parts myself that was not what I said but it does look like Apecks provides parts to divers--maybe and maybe not. Nope, I wanted the store to do it.

UH, I have the dive equipment training and by the way, I work on turbine aircraft engines which are far more complicated and sensitive that a simple two stage single hose regulator. These things are not rocket science.

Yes, I agree, I suspect that one reason Mares prefers to replace than repair and does not offer rebuild kits in any large number is liability concern which could be corrected by having sufficiently trained technicians in at least the larger shops.

Send it back to a service center every time it needs an O-ring--yeah, right, whatever.

Further, as clearly stated, I like Mares gear and like using it and hope this problem of the last several decades comes to an end with the new leadership. The Dacor thing is a whole other problem.

"I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm not understanding the issue that has you so wound up."

Well, uh,parts and service for everything they sell within reasonable time limits and accesibility which does not include sending stuff to far away places for simple repairs for starters. Frankly, if you don't understand you never will--okay--negate everything I said. Parts and service are plentiful. Everything Mares does is wonderful, Dacor parts are easily obtained. All is well in the universe, over and out. N

Nemrod:
Lairdb, you are jumping to conclusions. The regulator has been taken to several Mares stores and they had no parts and as I clearly stated this has not been with just this regulator. This has been a continuing issue with other Mares gear I have owned over many years, NEW and old. No, it has not been sent to ScubaToys. I should not have to search all over for service and in fact should not have to send it anywhere but to the nearest Mares store.

Perhaps your problem is not the brand... but the store. I have no problem getting any parts... I pick up the phone, I call, they ship, I pay for them... It's a pretty simple arrangement I've got with them. Sure, parts on some very old regs may not be available, but you might simply be experiencing a shop that doesn't bother inventory parts for your reg... that does not mean that Mares doesn't.

I don't know if I'm jumping to conclusions... but perhaps they would have had the same problem if you brought in a ScubaPro, or a Zeagle. The manufacturers don't make you have x number of parts in stock... that is up to the service department. We carry about $25,000 in rebuild parts... but I'm sure there are shops out there that don't have a rebuild kit for something as simple as a MR12... But that would be like blaming the toyota dealer for not having a windshield wiper at the local dealer... it's kinda' up to the dealer to order them.

Or if they did not have the part and should have, it's sometimes easier to blame it on a "backorder" at the factory, or the factory itself than to just accept blame! :D How human of them!

I have already described my experience with Mares service and getting parts for my reg earlier in the thread and can tell you that my shop didn't have any trouble getting the parts for my reg and an answer from Mares.
And Mares even honoured the European warranty of my gear :wink:

Well. a bunch of shops have lied then over the years but whatever, that is indeed a possibility and that possibly is due to their frustration with them as well. If that was true then I would wish them to just tell me that they will not service the Mares gear they sell.

"I don't think you will ever be able to get parts for servicing your own regs."
Well, yes and no, since I actually am more qualified than most and most old time divers are and do your statement is actually not exactly correct.

"So, we're actually talking about a 15+ year old reg..."

Yep, and I got lot's older and newer and your point is? Take note of the included thumbnail. One is a USD Calypso purchased by me with money from mowing lawns at a hardware store in 1968. The other is a Mistral purchased by a uncle in 1958 and given me in 1968. Both have been in conrinuous service for 37 and 47 years approximately. I can find parts for both fairly easily and yes I do my own work. No way would I let anyone but me touch them. Oh, yes, they work as good today as the day I bought them. The 15 years?--why is this a problem.

Well, I have represented the non happy Mares fellows adequately, I love Mares gear and love my new Protons and I am going to get another set for my wife very soon. Glutton for punishment I guess. N

Nemrod:
Well. a bunch of shops have lied then over the years but whatever, that is indeed a possibility and that possibly is due to their frustration with them as well. If that was true then I would wish them to just tell me that they will not service the Mares gear they sell.

"I don't think you will ever be able to get parts for servicing your own regs."
Well, yes and no, since I actually am more qualified than most and most old time divers are and do your statement is actually not exactly correct.

"So, we're actually talking about a 15+ year old reg..."

Yep, and I got lot's older and newer and your point is? Take note of the included thumbnail. One is a USD Calypso purchased by me with money from mowing lawns at a hardware store in 1968. The other is a Mistral purchased by a uncle in 1958 and given me in 1968. Both have been in conrinuous service for 37 and 47 years approximately. I can find parts for both fairly easily and yes I do my own work. No way would I let anyone but me touch them. Oh, yes, they work as good today as the day I bought them. The 15 years?--why is this a problem.

Well, I have represented the non happy Mares fellows adequately, I love Mares gear and love my new Protons and I am going to get another set for my wife very soon. Glutton for punishment I guess. N
These are very nice regs in the pic.
I can see that you take very well care of your gear as it looks almost new :wink:

Thanks Aqua, they are very nice indeed. The Mistral just recieved a complete rebuild and the old Calypso I have just taken very good care off and it to was recently rebuilt. The second stage with the Calypso red tag on it is not part of the original set. I aquired it for parts and it was so nice it now serves octa duty! While I have newer gear these are like old friends and I like using them. Old regulators never should die, they serve backup, stage, for fun or whatever but most of this stuff does not really wear out.
When diving with single hose regs my main units are still my old Voit MR12s or Tekna 2100s but I do like the several Mares units I have, especially my new Protons and they are made of METAL----cooooool--hopefully they will soon see some great diving. N

As many of you know I have not been a fan of Mares/Dacor for some time. I own several different models made by them and so far my local dive shop has been able to keep them serviced. This last January my LDS rebuilt my Voit Titan II J and it's now working great. The Dacor 360 line was one of the best "nuts and bolts" regulators ever built and many parts from u.s.divers line of regulators will fit it and can be used. Most of us are still upset with Dacor ...... we feel "screwed" on that deal . As a register owner of several Dacor regulators it would have been nice to receive a card stating that parts would no longer be provided for my "lifetime warranty" but a trade in program was available (didn't find out about the program until after it stopped). AERIS HAS A TRADE IN PROGRAM NOW that will let you to trade in any regulator (working or not) for $100 off their ATMOS PRO regulator. I just purchase a new BC saturday from my LDS and didn't even look at the Mares/Dacor line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom