Mares Proton Ice Extreme Regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QcBoy

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to scuba diving and I am looking to buy some scuba gear.
I live in Canada so I will dive in cold water and maybe in extreme cold water someday. So I was looking for a reg when I found the Mares Proton Ice Extreme. My questions are :

- Why the retail price is 900$, when all online store sell it for 360$ ?
- Would it be a good buy considering price/quality ?
- Any cons about this reg ?
- Any other suggestion ?

Thanks, Nick

I suggest to hop on into the chatroom sometime and talk to Gerbs about this reg... He has some information on this reg that you'll find of value.

I responded to original poster in his private message to me.

Best,

I had a Proton Ice/V32. I sold it.

Maybe I had a Monday's production model, but you could set your calendar by when it started acting up and needed servicing.

The 'Extreme' is a different surface coating that costs extra. I've never had my regular Mares Abyss freeze in 4c water, even without the CWD kit.

I would recommend a Mares Abyss /MR22t or MR42t.

Go with what other divers doing the dives you want to do where you want to do them use. If they live, it's good enough. If they are using it, someone local is going to be able to service them.

Gerbs - glad to no longer own a proton ice, and considering getting a second Abyss to replace the Apeks DS4/XTX40

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom