Mares Puck Safety Stop Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have gone into deco several times and then it works just as expected - automatically showing your time remaining and stop depth (10 ft).

Now running to Cozumel airport. Until next time...

I have the same issues with my new Puck Air, my last dive I did not reach low air alarm but still no safety stop mode. Only saw it my frst two dives with this new computer. The supplier has returned it to Mares, still waiting to hear the answers. I have tried enable and disable on the fast ascent setting but no change.

Fundamentals of diving...... This may sound a bit harsh, but "plan your dive, dive your plan". Why do you need the computer to tell you to do a safety stop?

Check the settings, it is weird that one did it and then on the next dive did not. You might have to send them back to Mares

Fundamentals of diving...... This may sound a bit harsh, but "plan your dive, dive your plan". Why do you need the computer to tell you to do a safety stop?

That statement doesn't sound harsh, it sounds off topic. The issue isn't that this or any other diver needs a computer to tell you to do a safety stop. The issue is whether or not the computer is malfunctioning in that regard. If so, the next question would be what else is this computer not doing correctly, such as calculating NDL's, tank pressure, etc.? Its a safety concern.

I think the safety stop timer disables when you hit the high reserve setting. I have seen this consistently when I dive and I have several dives on this computer.

After speaking with Mares, my local dive shop was told tosend the unit back for testing. It was suggested by whomever he was speaking toat Mares that it is probable that the safety stop function is disabled on lowair (no value given) for liability reasons. Because the safety stop is not required it somewhat makes sense that itwould not be suggested if you were low on air. I just got my Puck Air back from Mares, with no answers just a brand newunit. It would be nice if Mares madethis clear in the manual if this is the case. I will keep an eye on the new unit and see if it acts the same way. This is my third air integrated computer andthe first one to behave this way. I havean old Scuba Pro EDI and a Dacor Darwin Air and both do a safety stop countdownregardless of tank air pressure.

Same exact issues here. Purchased a Mares Puck Air as a backup to my wireless Suunto Vyper Air just before my last drive trip to Kona and not once did it give me a safety stop countdown. This thread's theory on the low psi warning matches my experience exactly - I nearly always surface with about 500 psi (well below the 725psi warning) which would explain why the computer never went into safety stop mode. Luckily I'm diving with two computers (and know to do a safety stop regardless of what my computer says) so it was never an issue...but still a little bothersome. This sounds like a glitch more than a "feature" and I would love to see it corrected in some kind of firmware update.

It is very good to read that the computer still functions properly in deco scenarios, thank you for that Lexion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom