Mares Viper Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapsFan22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've had this mask for a few weeks now, and haven't been able to get rid of the fogging. I don't even mean while diving; it fogs every time I blow air on it after pre-treating it. I've done the following:

1) Started with just toothpaste over and over
2) Used a lighter, wiped away with a paper towel, then cleaned the whole mask with dawn
3) Used a lighter, then toothpaste, then washed away with fresh water

I've done these things MANY times, and without fail, the mask fogs after I breathe into it. The closest I've gotten is having the center of the lens be clear, but the edges of the mask will still fog. So then I work the edges as hard as I can with a lighter and toothpaste...same deal. I took the mask on a dive once after going through a lot of this just to see if adding in a defog would help; no dice, fog city.

Has anyone with this mask had any luck with pre-treating? Anything else I can be doing? The silicone skirt is pretty much right up against the lens, so I'm wondering if there is some leeching going on that is inevitably going to make the mask fog all the time.

[we have a cleaning product in Australia called Jif it is excellent for cleaning dive masks just get the normal plain one, do mask for like 20 minutes then use no more tears baby shampoo before you dive :)

Hi!

I was told the type of toothpaste matters. Just basic, fluoride toothpaste - nothing with baking soda, whitening, etc. What did you happen to use? (I'm not sure if this is actually true.....just what I was first told when I started diving.)

If all else fails, can you reach out to Mares and see if you have a defective or strange unit? See what recommendations they have. Good luck! Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.

...same deal here! Have tried then same approaches, toothpaste, lighter etc ...still fogging badly. Have gone back to my trusted TUSA Visualator instead!

Last edited:
Also, the toothpaste should be the "old fashioned" white paste, not a gel. It is the gentle abrasives in the toothpaste that clean the release agent off of the glass.

I see that you have not used a mask scrubber, a specifically made for this purpose paste. Go to you local scuba shop and buy it. Using other methods are never a 100% guarantee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom