Mares Volo Power vs. Mares Quattro Excel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracy_from_oz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi guys

Please feel free to move this if Ive posted it in the wrong area of the board.

Need some advice on fins please.
Sadly we dont have the try before you buy in Aussie, well not where I live. Also Mares isnt a brand carried really in most stores ive been too.

So the old fins are on their last legs and I am deciding between the:
Mares Volo Power
and
Mares Quattro Excel

I basically want a fin that I can use in all conditions but more importantly if there is current and cold water eg east coast USA or Europe. Maybe a little stiff.
I have heard reports the Volo Power is a little bendy? But not sure myself.

Does anyone have these fins and can give me an idea if there any good.

Thanks

i own a pair of the volos and i absolutely love them.
diving in new zealand, they are perfect.

i also know of people that have a pair of volos and a pair of excels.
i think you will find they are very similar although the volos are easier for me to turn in. even though they are very light, they have very good thrust.

G day DiveChiq

Thank you for the info.

Do you find the fins good in the current?

Hi Tracy, I have the Volos and so does my girlfriend, and we are very happy with them. They are a good, very comfortable, all round fin. But by no means are they a powerfull fin (like Jetfins). When I give them the power, they can deliver... But I can definetly feel that they are not at their best when finning very hard (I can feel them bending a lot).

Up to moderate current, I've found them great. But the times I've been in strong current, or needed lots of power (like during my rescue class pulling a tired diver), they are not the best for that... If that's what you want, I'd go for the Excels which I believe are considered stiffer...

Just my 0.02$

Owned Volos, hated them. For the same reason stated above, way to flexible for my liking.

Hi Codman and Frank

Thank you for the information, I am thinking the Volo's are off the list. I want something a bit stiff for currents.

Hi Codman and Frank

Thank you for the information, I am thinking the Volo's are off the list. I want something a bit stiff for currents.

I'd definetly try the Excels then. I was also eyeing them for my next pair. But honnestly, for 95% of my diving, the Volos work well, so no rear reason to change them! I'll just wear them out...:cool2:

for currents, i actually like my volos.
i have been using a pair of aqualung slingshots and we got caught up in a bit of a surge at the sugarloaf (poor knights islands) on the weekend, and they kicked me right out of it without too much effort.
i dont find that the volos have too much flex - i use a frog kick mainly and just a little scissor kick every now and again. i also like the ability to give a good back kick in the volos and find they reverse nicely.

wow I have the volos and use them in very rough water they are plenty powerful ...i have no problem with them bending ...but i did get the new quatro excel fin ..it is a little stiffer... I like the volos better way less leg cramping on the volos ...i do alot of surface swimming ...but the quattros came in pink ,so i use them because they match my mask and snorkle...both are good fins ...but i feel the volo is the best fin .... way better in rough water than the split fin...

maybe thats just my oppinion ...i am a great swimmer ...so maybe fins work defferent on me than someone who doesnt swim alot ...i swim the alcatraz swim and ...have swam the catalina channell , i swim alot...so i have a more powerful kick than most people and the split fin didnt work for me ...doesnt work well on powerful kicking ...if you kick softly its a good fin ...but not for me...volos are the best for strong kicking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom