Mares X-Stream - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got 100+ on my Xtremes with very little sign of wear.

Did that happen spontaneously with yours, or was there a 'cause'? Because this is one failure I have had, but I wrote it up to just beating the hell out of gear and jamming them tip first into the weight belt bucket every day. I dove for a month on them and watched the tear work its way up the fin a bit before retiring it.

Someone resurrected this thread and I realized I never answered you.

I didn't actually see it happen so I'm not exactly sure. I did notice it the day after my son grabbed my fins and played in the pool, so he is a likely culprit. The plastic where the rubber meets was scuffed so it is a certainty that it came into contact with something. I'm confident I didn't actually kick something while diving. It could have also happened when shoving them into my mares mesh deluxe wet bag; although I don't think the scuffs support that theory.

The timing was good on that mares event, so I didn't end up diving them at all after noticing and before getting them replaced.

Bought a the red one a few weeks online and was able to test it in the pool today at the local lds. So far im happy with it. Im curious how it will perform in currents.

I have X-streams and I can definitely see the appeal, but I found they weren't quite right for my particular circumstances. Firstly I sometimes dive in current and have found they don't have quite enough oomph for my liking in those conditions. Secondly I have floaty feet, so the x-streams are just a little light for me personally. But they're certainly great fins and I can see how they'd suit others. For myself, I just got a pair of Avanti Quattro Plus (which come standard with bungee straps) and I adore them, they're the perfect fins for me personally and seem to have a bit more 'muscle' than the x-streams.

Sorry for necroing this thread, but my 1 year old X-streams are splitting in the middle where the soft/hard materials meet.

I take good care of my kit, keep them in a fin bag all the time while not in use, etc.

Anyone know how to contact Mares regarding their '2 year warranty'?

Looking to switch to Hollis F1's for something a bit more indestructible...

Sorry for necroing this thread, but my 1 year old X-streams are splitting in the middle where the soft/hard materials meet.

I take good care of my kit, keep them in a fin bag all the time while not in use, etc.

If you didn't buy them from a local shop, then try Mares (Head) directly:
Customer Service
HEAD UK LTD.
Address:
2 Beezon Road
Kendal LA9 6BW
United Kingdom
www.head.com
Phone:
+44 1539 724740

My replacement fins broke in exactly the same way about a year after Mares replaced them. I switched to Deep Six Eddy fins in part because they don't have the seam where two materials meet. The deep6 seem to have more power but the foot pocket isn't as comfortable as the Mares. Buoyancy is about the same between the two.

Sorry to hear that. Ivehad mine for a number of years, 100s of dives and no separation. There is a small slice in one of the fins but that has to have been from a gear mishandling situation. Looks like someone stabbed one. It's caused no problems fortunately because I'm told it can't be fixed. Sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom