Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez..that way of thinking could run into a lot of money?!?!?!

Pot $$$
Underwater Mp3 player (to load with Pink Floyd...of course!)$$$$$

Nah...I'll stick to reality when diving...I forgot a LOT of concerts I attended back in the early 80's!

Seeing that pot RAISES the paranoia factor, I don't see diving as an activity whilst stoned! "did that fish look at me....he know I'm stoned...ooh geez...the way that Moray Eel was looking at me....HE KNOWS!"

I could also see a bunch of guys kicked back on the bottom, just blowing bubbles, and watching them...WHOA!

Btw...does Dominos deliver to boats?????

Hillmorton Scubie:
Im recently certified (In my 40s) and would like your opinion on this.
We were recently on vacation (Caribbean) and out on a dive boat having a great time, everyone friendly.
My Insta buddy was great fun, and during the surface interval it came out that she likes to smoke weed before a dive. I was astounded.
She said that it relaxes her and reduces air consumption, and if she smokes enough it can bring out the colors of the fish.
At first I thought she was joking, but on further discussion she was being honest.(She smokes everyday)

As many adolescents do,I tried weed when in my early 20s but as a non smoker it made me feel sick, and I didn't like its effects so its just "not my thing", but its a free world and people can make their own mind up.(I have no moral stance on it)
Later back at the hotel, we were talking with this other diving couple that we had been hanging out with and I was telling them about my buddies smoking..
Astounded again-They were also regular weed smokers and had smoked weed before a dive as well.
Im now wondering whether it impairs people as much as I thought.
I drink beer (quite often too much,) but never before a dive.
Should I make the smoking question part of my pre-dive, buddy safety checks.
Perhaps Im just over reacting because Im just an old fart- before my time.
icosm02.gif

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
A not very cool dude.

This is a very complex question with a very simple answer:

Just say, "NO!":no

joewr...thinking cool is cold in some places....

Many folks have a litany of reasons not to dive with other folks, especially as an insta-buddy - skill level, experience, body fat ratio, age... and I always say I'll dive with 'em!
- BUT -
I will not dive with anyone who is high on drugs, alcohol or marijuana. They are Darwin's own candidates; I don't want to be anywhere around when their number is up, and the family starts looking around for deep pockets.
---
By the way, trying to convince a dope-head that they're less than brilliant for smoking dope and diving is akin to peeing into the wind. It's just gonna blow back on you, so don't bother.
Rick

P.S. - oh, yeah, and it's illegal with no quality control, too - could be laced with anything.
That's another interesting conversation... these idiots trust their pusher - and an entire supply chain of crooks - with their lives and don't even realize it.

I would not knowingly dive with anyone who was impaired in any way from any substance.

If someone wants to smoke a bowl after the diving is done for the day, I've got no problem with it. There's a time and a place for everything. The dive boat is NOT the time or the place to spark up, and if you can't make it through the morning of diving without feeling like you simply MUST toke up, then maybe you love pot more than you love diving, and you have no business being on the boat in the first place.

Rick Murchison:
Many folks have a litany of reasons not to dive with other folks, especially as an insta-buddy - skill level, experience, body fat ratio, age... and I always say I'll dive with 'em!
- BUT -
I will not dive with anyone who is high on drugs, alcohol or marijuana. They are Darwin's own candidates; I don't want to be anywhere around when their number is up, and the family starts looking around for deep pockets.
---
By the way, trying to convince a dope-head that they're less than brilliant for smoking dope and diving is akin to peeing into the wind. It's just gonna blow back on you, so don't bother.
Rick

Does this mean you have deep pockets :)

Hey Rick wanna go diving? :D :D

Wow. Given my highschool experiences, I think I can safely stay that smoking pot and diving is like weightlifting while ice skating. No chance I'll be boarding that party bus.

Impaired is impaired, does not really matter what someone has done to impair themselves, the fact is that they are still high or intoxicated or whatever. If im going to rely on this person to be my buddy and hopefuly they will be there for me if I ever got into trouble then I would hope that they are in control of their faculties at all time and not off in another world because the colour is leaking out of the fish. What you do on your own time away from diving is really none of my concern nor would I pass judgment on what you decide to do with your time, however when it comes to my safety or the safety or my family or friends who dive being impaired is just unacceptable. Just my .02

P.S. - oh, yeah, and it's illegal with no quality control, too - could be laced with anything.
That's another interesting conversation... these idiots trust their pusher - and an entire supply chain of crooks - with their lives and don't even realize it.[/QUOTE]

:rofl3: , oh sorry. Ya those shifty growers lacing cheap drugs with more expensive drugs. Hahahahahah, reefer madness much? :rofl3: I hate to break it to ya but there is no need for that kind of thing and is strictly a myth, much like the silly gateway theory etc.
I have to agree about any type of intoxicant and dangerous activities do not mix and rightly so. However I can't believe the ignorance being displayed in this thread.

DrownedRat:
:rofl3: , oh sorry. Ya those shifty growers lacing cheap drugs with more expensive drugs. Hahahahahah, reefer madness much? :rofl3: I hate to break it to ya but there is no need for that kind of thing and is strictly a myth, much like the silly gateway theory etc.
I have to agree about any type of intoxicant and dangerous activities do not mix and rightly so.

Agreed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom