Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I can remember back in the day. What I remember most was that I would be in no condition to dive after that. I mean I just can't imagine even having the motivation to gear up dosed on sid. Not to mention how odd it would feel to try and squeeze on a wetsuit. Then again given our age difference I would suspect the stuff I fooled around with as a youngster was far more potent that what was available in your time.

Interesting thread :14:

drbill:
I, too, have heard of divers who have dived on acid. Hard to believe. I know back when I did it (ancient history, statutes of limitation well exceeded, besides... it was the 60's and I can't remember anything anyway, except my first time breathing from a SCUBA tank), I was out of control (in a "good" way). I loved the experience, but after a few times I realized that anything I liked that much (other than sex) was probably bad for me so I stopped. There was NO WAY I could dive on the stuff. Absolutely no way!

I have a friend who tells me his brother used to take his boat out to blue water, drop the anchor some distance, then dive down to sit on the anchor while tripping on mushrooms alone.

Unreal - at least the guy doesn't dive anymore (and yes he's still alive).

DrownedRat:
Congrats on turfing smoking!!
As for big tobacco, you are right, but that dosen't apply to hydroponic ops. Only thing to worrie about is bugs, and that can be delt with using nothing more noxious than a weak hydrogen peroxide/water solution.
But I've said too much :D

Hahahaha... Not to worry. I was quite the "budding" horticulturalist myself, once upon a time. :eyebrow:

At least with ganja, people who smoke it get high. Cigarettes are truly the most asinine addiction EVER. People who smoke them get nothing but cancer, emphysema, and heart disease, without even getting high! :11: Yeesh....

Thanks!!

Re acid - recall one evening with a friend we spent the better part of 4 hours lighting cigarette after cigarette and waving them about in the dark watching the pretty patterns in the air listening to some just released album. Dark Side of the Moon as I recall. As we came down we realized that this was in a 12 by 12 basement, unventilated room. The air was virtually unbreathable :D and with the lights on you could barely see from one side of the room to the other.

In the same state of mind under water I could just imagine watching the bubbles - until they stopped - and not paying any attention at all.

Re 60's acid and today's version. Chem lab acid hasn't changed - the chemicals are all the same. Get the good stuff and it's identical. Get the bad stuff and you are in for a wild ride that can screw you up for a very very long time. :no

Not true for todays weed - significant difference - the stuff we had was good for the time, but doesn't even come close to "BC Bud" today. Hanging out with young musicians will get you exposed to second hand smoke that will tell you that in a hurry. Have had to leave the party room just because the 2nd hand smoke was affecting me.

Back to the original topic. Smoking whatever is a temporary contradiction in diving, look in any diving manual. Smoking dope, forget about it. The depth may increase the "high", causing them to do stupid things even if they are an experienced stoner. Combine that with narcosis and I think you have a potentally deadly mix for both diver and buddy. I would stay away from them, as they are a liability. They may require help but are unable to give you help.

It’s sure a good thing that more people don’t get stoned and dive. The reefs would be covered with bite marks when they got the munchies. :D

I don’t know why I never got involved with any of that stuff. I grew up less than 50 miles from Haight Ashbury and we went up their quite often. Then in Viet Nam it was easier to bum a joint off someone than a cigarette.

It might have had something to do with my mom pre-planning my funeral if I ever did. Growing up in a Dago family there were rules you played by or the fiddle case got opened. :wink:

Almost everyone I hung out with, except my little cousin did something other than booze and cigarettes. They got smart after a while and quit offering it so we stayed the designated drivers. That could be a trip all of its own. :shakehead

Gary D.

I dunno. I wouldn't count on it.

I don't care if someone smokes or not, but if I'm with them I'd just rather they did it after the diving was done. Same for drinking.

to each his or her own, but I'd NEVER EVER EVER EVER want to get in the water with someone who was under the influence of anything stronger than pseudafed. I can't even say you could just treat it as a solo dive, because it seems more than likely that said "buddy" might end up needed you to save their behind.

I've been on my share of diving vacations, I know that for some, night dives after dinner might not be completely sober, but it's nothing I'd ever do, and I'd never dive with anyone who's in that condition.

maybe I'm just not hip enough...

Fish_Whisperer:
By the way: I have been free and healing for One Month, Three Days, 20 Hours and 43 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 9 Hours, by NOT smoking 976 sickarettes, which would have cost me $150.06 for the wonderful privilege of murdering myself. :)

Whoa! Do you have some script for calculating all this? If so, can I get a copy? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom