Marijuana - Consequences from Use and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
adurso:
Does not getting the "QUOTE" brackets right when you are posting signify *impairment* ? :D (Sorry...just joking here! :wink: ) Still...you didn't answer the question. We aren't talking about car accidents or the 'negative'! When people (including me!!!) are furiously posting that it's bad to dive stoned...I have to wonder what actual evidence that's based on in reality. I really don't mean..."well yeah...you're impaired man...everybody knows that...it's illegal...it's really not cool!!!" - I mean reality.

Yes it does signify impairment! I am grading final exams at the moment and get a contact high from whatever chemicals my students ingested prior to the exam!

Sorry I was looking at the second question of accidents avoided by being laid back, that was the proving a negative. The first question was to the effect of how many accidents were caused by chemicals, I would throw legal, scrip and otherwise in there as well.

Most fatal scuba accidents go down as drownings, the tox screens may not be done, or if done are generally not released for public consumption. The picture I generally get is of the path guy cracking the chest and saying "Yup, there's water in them thar lungs, another drownded victim" and moving on to another table chomping on the baloney sandwich. (This is a joke) But generally speaking the investigation stops and drowning is the proximal cause of death, the more detailed screenings are of no consequence.

Non fatal accidents depend upon self reporting; generally folks do not tell on themselves, in particular when using a proscribed substance. Those who take prescription meds tend to forget that these meds are real drugs and do not mention them, those taking OTC meds tend to leave them out as well.

Bottom line, it is pretty much a snowball's chance of getting that info in order to determine if an accident was caused by altered states due to chemical use.

I know a guy who got the crap bent out of him on a foreign trip. He took more chamber rides than an astronaut. He had dived very mild profiles, shallow dives, no rapid ascents, well within NDL limits. He did everything properly, the chamber folks kept after him, suspecting drug use, or some hidden health hazard.

When speaking to him upon his return he described his nightmare and was very puzzled because he knew he had not ingested anything out of the ordinary.

I said:"Dude, you were dehydrated" He said:"Dude, I drank plenty of water" I said:"Dude, I bet you also mixed lots of scotch with that water every night" He said:"Dude!"

The thought that all the alcohol he had every night would impact his hit never occured to him as he saw that as normal. So he would not mention his alcohol intake as being a possible factor.

This is one reason why it is difficult to determine the cause of accidents.

Rick Murchison:
HHhhaaarrrrrr! Coffee through the nose on that one!
Rick :D
Rick,

Careful with that devil drug caffeine!:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Caffeine is a drug that in large amounts, especially over an extended period of time, can lead to a condition termed "caffeinism." Caffeinism usually combines physical addiction with a wide range of unpleasant physical and mental conditions including nervousness, irritability, anxiety, tremulousness, muscle twitching (hyperreflexia), insomnia, headaches, and heart palpitations.[49] (Under a rigid definition of addiction, meaning a process of escalating use, "caffeine dependency" would be a more descriptive term. However, under the widely accepted definition "chronic pattern of behavior that is perceived to be difficult to quit," caffeine may be said to be addictive.) Furthermore, because caffeine increases the production of stomach acid, high usage over time can lead to peptic ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease.[50] However, since both "regular" and decaffeinated coffees have also been shown to stimulate the gastric mucosa and increase stomach acid secretion, caffeine is probably not the only component of coffee responsible.[51]

Other undesirable effects, such as dysglycemia, hypokalemia and even rhabdomyolysis have also been reported, although these conditions are rare.

Additionally, isolated caffeine has been shown to increase insulin resistance by 33-37 %, thus increasing diabetes mellitus risk. Interestingly, coffee has not been shown to increase insuline resistance in any way.[52]

There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified (NOS).

Speaking of sweet black honey nectar of the gods..

"The 31 August 1990 issue of the magazine Science notes that of the over 800 volatile chemicals present in roasted COFFEE, only 21 have actually been tested on animals and 16 of these cause cancer in rodents.
Yet, coffee remains legal and is generally considered fairly safe."

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

tonka97:
Rick,

Careful with that devil drug caffeine!:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Caffeine is a drug that in large amounts, especially over an extended period of time, can lead to a condition termed "caffeinism." Caffeinism usually combines physical addiction with a wide range of unpleasant physical and mental conditions including nervousness, irritability, anxiety, tremulousness, muscle twitching (hyperreflexia), insomnia, headaches, and heart palpitations.[49] (Under a rigid definition of addiction, meaning a process of escalating use, "caffeine dependency" would be a more descriptive term. However, under the widely accepted definition "chronic pattern of behavior that is perceived to be difficult to quit," caffeine may be said to be addictive.) Furthermore, because caffeine increases the production of stomach acid, high usage over time can lead to peptic ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease.[50] However, since both "regular" and decaffeinated coffees have also been shown to stimulate the gastric mucosa and increase stomach acid secretion, caffeine is probably not the only component of coffee responsible.[51]

Other undesirable effects, such as dysglycemia, hypokalemia and even rhabdomyolysis have also been reported, although these conditions are rare.

Additionally, isolated caffeine has been shown to increase insulin resistance by 33-37 %, thus increasing diabetes mellitus risk. Interestingly, coffee has not been shown to increase insuline resistance in any way.[52]

There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified (NOS).

Some food for thought for those repeating the old "it's called dope for a reason" sillyness.. (btw being a lardo (common these days) actually impacts mental functioning more severly, consider before choosing your next buddy :mooner: )

Myth: Marijuana Kills Brain Cells. Used over time, marijuana permanently alters brain structure and function, causing memory loss, cognitive impairment, personality deterioration, and reduced productivity.

Fact: None of the medical tests currently used to detect brain damage in humans have found harm from marijuana, even from long term high-dose use. An early study reported brain damage in rhesus monkeys after six months exposure to high concentrations of marijuana smoke. In a recent, more carefully conducted study, researchers found no evidence of brain abnormality in monkeys that were forced to inhale the equivalent of four to five marijuana cigarettes every day for a year. The claim that marijuana kills brain cells is based on a speculative report dating back a quarter of a century that has never been supported by any scientific study.

Myth: Marijuana Causes an Amotivational Syndrome. Marijuana makes users passive, apathetic, and uninterested in the future. Students who use marijuana become underachievers and workers who use marijuana become unproductive.

Fact: For twenty-five years, researchers have searched for a marijuana-induced amotivational syndrome and have failed to find it. People who are intoxicated constantly, regardless of the drug, are unlikely to be productive members of society. There is nothing about marijuana specifically that causes people to lose their drive and ambition. In laboratory studies, subjects given high doses of marijuana for several days or even several weeks exhibit no decrease in work motivation or productivity. Among working adults, marijuana users tend to earn higher wages than non-users. College students who use marijuana have the same grades as nonusers. Among high school students, heavy use is associated with school failure, but school failure usually comes first.

Myth: Marijuana Impairs Memory and Cognition. Under the influence of marijuana, people are unable to think rationally and intelligently. Chronic marijuana use causes permanent mental impairment.

Fact: Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of the intoxication. There is no convincing evidence that heavy long-term marijuana use permanently impairs memory or other cognitive functions.

Myth: Marijuana Can Cause Permanent Mental Illness. Among adolescents, even occasional marijuana use may cause psychological damage. During intoxication, marijuana users become irrational and often behave erratically.

Fact: There is no convincing scientific evidence that marijuana causes psychological damage or mental illness in either teenagers or adults. Some marijuana users experience psychological distress following marijuana ingestion, which may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary. With very large doses, marijuana can cause temporary toxic psychosis. This occurs rarely, and almost always when marijuana is eaten rather than smoked. Marijuana does not cause profound changes in people's behavior.

Myth: Marijuana Causes Crime. Marijuana users commit more property offenses than nonusers. Under the influence of marijuana, people become irrational, aggressive, and violent.

Fact: Every serious scholar and government commission examining the relationship between marijuana use and crime has reached the same conclusion: marijuana does not cause crime. The vast majority of marijuana users do not commit crimes other than the crime of possessing marijuana. Among marijuana users who do commit crimes, marijuana plays no causal role. Almost all human and animal studies show that marijuana decreases rather than increases aggression.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

Still don't think you should be diving under any the influence of anyting that may impare you. Diving is cool enough :14:

DrownedRat:
College students who use marijuana have the same grades as nonusers. Among high school students, heavy use is associated with school failure, but school failure usually comes first.
I was a fairly heavy user from my last year of high school through college, and I actually saw a substantial increase in my grades that started roughly at the same time I began smoking. I'm not saying there's a causal relationship, but since my personal experience is that I went from a 'c' student to an 'a' student when I was using, I've never personally had a very high opinion of the 'amotivational' argument. If anything, it made mundane busy work seem more interesting and tolerable.

Short term memory impairment was the biggest downside I experienced, and it's that same experience and not concerns about erratic behavior or long term damage that make me most concerned about people smoking and diving. I mean, if he gets high on land and finds he put the kettle on because he couldn't remember that he just poured himself a cup of tea a few minutes ago, how is a stoned diver supposed to be able to keep track of his depth and air consumption, and maintain situational awareness while there's so much other stimulus? Combined with narcosis and the potential for exacerbated intoxication at depth, it just seems like a really bad idea. Probably very pleasant if nothing goes wrong, but if something does go bad, it could go REALLY bad.

Yes that is a scary and sobering point. It's nice to try and do some educating and myth dispelling, but we can't forget that no matter what, any kind of impairment is just not a good idea. Your point hits home as anyone who has been in your situation has a similar story. It's amusing in your kitchen but at depth on life-support a similar experience could be tragic.
What we have to remember is that being "functional" is different from each person, and no matter what you are impaired to some degree. 999 out of 1000 times this may not be an issue but as has been stated, all it takes is the right time and circumstances mix in a little impairment and you're done. Worse, something you do or don't smokes someone else :no

MSilvia:
<snip>
Short term memory impairment was the biggest downside I experienced, and it's that same experience and not concerns about erratic behavior or long term damage that make me most concerned about people smoking and diving. I mean, if you get high on land and find you put the kettle on because you can't remember that you just poured yourself a cup of tea a few minutes ago, <snip>

Smoke a little weed. Get a little stupid.

Dive deep enough to get narcosis. Get a little stupid.

Have a little weed AND a little Narcosis = Get Real Stupid. :no Get real dead.

But the fish are sooo colorful!

IM STILL ASTOUNDED
I AM SO DISAPPOINTED WITH THE REPLY'S TO MY POST.---ME ME ME THATS ALL I SEE.
People have the RIGHT to do what the hell they like.
Does an Insta buddy have the RIGHT to put me at risk. !!
Hillmorton Scubie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom