Marine Biology Jobs Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... [FTE job seekers far outnumber positions] ... Your alternative is to do something like I did. I joined the Navy, got my Engineer's Merchant Mariner's license, also my Captain's license, got a degree in Environmental Science and another in Nuclear Engineering Technology, worked for government and industry for 20 years, and put enough scratch away to buy a research vessel.

I think this is great advice.

Wookie highlights what I think is a critical and overlooked point. There may be hundreds of people already waiting in line for your dream job, but if you are willing to approach the puzzle in an unconventional way, you might see that you don't necessarily have to come in by the front door.

Find a way to differentiate yourself. Just having a degree in marine biology is not enough. Also study math, or chemistry, or physics, or computers. Get a double major. Get intern experience with Reef.org. Volunteer in marine labs. Fix diesel engines. Be a dive instructor, equipment repair tech, underwater photographer, EMT.

if you don't stand out, you're going to be left standing out in the cold.

…I want to be a marine biologist when I grow up, but my future doesn't look much promising. :depressed:

That has been true for at least the last 50 years and is likely to get even worse in the future. Forget about repaying student loans for a PhD from a big-name school.

How carefully have you considered this career beyond the allure described by Wookie? Carefully examine yourself and your motivation… regardless of which career interests you. Can you describe why you are specifically interested in marine biology?

UNC Wilmington turns out oodles of Marine Biology majors each year. Most of them work in the various restaurants or volunteer to get experience when they realize a BS just isn't a viable degree as a research scientist. Fact is, I have 4-6 each year that come DM or teach with me just to get more time in the water.

So, four year degree in Marine biology basically means you can work in environmental sciences, law enforcement, teach or some such thing. Move up to a masters and some specialization, you can get into government work like NOAA, the EPA and others. Once you get to the Doctorate level, you increase your chances of research, but almost all of it is limited to being through academia.

As in all things, these aren't absolutes, but it is consistent with life experience and much of what you are seeing here.

I would suggest you be more specific about your goals (not really any such thing as a Marine Biologist, that's kind of an entry point). What are your ultimate goals (know they will change). What are some professions that can be spun out of such a degree??

The OP never said he was interested in research...for which the PhD is mandatory, but still does not get you a job.

More jobs are available at the MS level than BS or PhD, and especially for those with a double MS, the other degree being in something more, well, technical, like computers or engineeering or even just math. Far too many folks pick marine biology for a degree precisely because they can avoid all the "hard" stuff like chemistry, math, and physics. Hey, it is the hard stuff that gets you the job. Suck it up.

I want to be a marine biologist when I grow up, but my future doesn't look much promising. :depressed:

Here's a little fact of life; in order to have a job (most jobs, anyway), you have to fulfill a need for somebody (single or plural) else. Often, this means making somebody money.

What do you envision yourself doing that is going to make somebody a lot of money?

What do you believe makes you a superior choice to do this than the scads of other people who want to do it?

I suspect Marine Biology is a fine hobby for people with a 'real' job, more often than it is a main job. Be mindful a great hobby can be a lousy job.

If you're a forward looking initiative taker, and plan to go through with this, here's something you might try:

1.) Find out who hires for these jobs in your region.

2.) Get in contact with them with a straight forward few questions.

---A.) What Marine Biology jobs do you offer?

---B.) What are the required qualifications?

---C.) What kind of qualifications do you see in those candidates who actually land these jobs?

----D.) What is missing from those applications that would be a big selling point for you?

Could be good info. to know.

Richard.

---C.) What kind of qualifications do you see in those candidates who actually land these jobs?
---D.) What is missing from those applications that would be a big selling point for you?

Oh my.

I have lost count of how many people I have interviewed over the years, for a variety of software and systems positions. I cannot remember any of them asking questions like those.

I wish someone had tried.

No one asked, "Can you tell me about the last few people to hold this position? Was there something extra challenging here for them? What could they have learned/studied/changed to get past that?"

No one asked, "As an employer/manager/team leader, can you tell me what skills or training you are especially keen to bring on board right now?"

No one asked, "Are there some important skills or experiences that are unique to your business (or business model)?"

Sigh.

:/

Oh my.

I have lost count of how many people I have interviewed over the years, for a variety of software and systems positions. I cannot remember any of them asking questions like those.

I wish someone had tried.

No one asked, "Can you tell me about the last few people to hold this position? Was there something extra challenging here for them? What could they have learned/studied/changed to get past that?"

No one asked, "As an employer/manager/team leader, can you tell me what skills or training you are especially keen to bring on board right now?"

No one asked, "Are there some important skills or experiences that are unique to your business (or business model)?"

Sigh.

:/
Take a look at this short article about the mismatch between what you learn in school (and what professors think you need to know) and what employers would *like* you to know.
25-4 Miller and Briscoe

Me to fresh PhD: How's the job hunt going?

Her: No so good.

Me: Any interviews?

She: Been to 4. (Understand that in my business the interviews are after they have narrowed it down and employer pays for it. 4 interviews and no offers is not good)

Me: What did you tell them you could do for them?

She: Passive blank stare.

My silent question of why you do not have an offer and several of our other fresh PhD's do have offers was answered.

As pointed out above the employer is not trying to do anything for you. You need to provide value to them. Preferably extra value.

Pretty sad when a PhD can't even get a job, and some dirt bag like me can clean the bottoms of boats, change a few zincs, cut line of props in the middle of the night, and make $50 to $100 an hour.
And I didn't even graduate high school.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom