Marine Biology Jobs Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PLEASE! I live in Central Florida. And if I do go down that path, I would get a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and do 3 years in the Navy as well as getting PADI Divemaster certified. I read the requirements for it and it said you must have 2 years in regular FBI and be a certified diver. So then I read the FBI requirements, and you have to have 3 years of full time job experience and have a Bachelors degree. I said to myself, why not go to the Navy since 1. Having service always help a ton on your resume 2. Get much more physically fit (I love to work out and im muscular, but you always need more). Its suppose to have the hardest training in the whole service 3. It would help my swimming skills.

Talk to your folks. If they decide you may talk to a stranger, PM me their contact info. I will send it to Mike and he will decide whether or not to call them. It just doesn't do to have a retired FBI agent call a 13 year old.

You're 13!? Do your parents know you're on Scubaboard?
They don't need to. This is the standard we follow.

The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information from children under 13.
Mason, given what you're interested in and where it's located you should be all over this - now or in the near future:

Coral Restoration Foundation | | Restoring Reefs

The point is to get known by others doing work in the field. Networking with others in the same discipline is never a bad thing. You may work with someone once then five years later be contacting them about a job. It may get you an interview instead of an e-mail deletion of your resume. Review the staff list on their website - many of them started as volunteers before moving into paid positions.

I also wouldn't limit yourself to Florida if you have the resources to go elsewhere when you're a little older.

There's a lot of coral reef research being done in other areas - Belize comes to mind. Some are paid (by you) some at least provide room/board in exchange for working on the coral reef - doing studies, counts, etc. Here's a couple google found:

SI NMNH CCRE Visitor Info
Belize: Coral Reef Monitoring at Turneffe Atoll (Scuba) | Oceanic Society
https://www.podvolunteer.org/Conservation/reef-conservation-belize.html

Last edited:
Join the NOAA Corps, they have a recruitement video here- NOAA Corps

Retire at 45 to your beach shack and collect your check for life, as you study whatever you want, off of some tropical island. More likely scenario would be to stay in because the three kids are just starting college and you need the money.

The best news is that you can do it with a bachelors degree and if accepted they will pay for advanced coursework to get a masters or PHD over your career

They don't need to. This is the standard we follow.

Mason, given what you're interested in and where it's located you should be all over this - now or in the near future:

Coral Restoration Foundation | | Restoring Reefs

The point is to get known by others doing work in the field. Networking with others in the same discipline is never a bad thing. You may work with someone once then five years later be contacting them about a job. It may get you an interview instead of an e-mail deletion of your resume. Review the staff list on their website - many of them started as volunteers before moving into paid positions.

I also wouldn't limit yourself to Florida if you have the resources to go elsewhere when you're a little older.

There's a lot of coral reef research being done in other areas - Belize comes to mind. Some are paid (by you) some at least provide room/board in exchange for working on the coral reef - doing studies, counts, etc. Here's a couple google found:

SI NMNH CCRE Visitor Info
Belize: Coral Reef Monitoring at Turneffe Atoll (Scuba) | Oceanic Society
https://www.podvolunteer.org/Conservation/reef-conservation-belize.html

Yea, I got in touch with MMF (Marine Megafauna Foundation) and the foundation owner, Andrea Marshall was the one that spoke to me via email. She answered a ton of my answers. I have been kind of shifting towards the FBI Dive Team route. It has many benifits. You start off at a minimum of $40,000 a year, and in about 7 years you are making around $120,000 a year. You are forced to retire at 57 or younger, which is a great age haha. Plus, it forces me to be successful. I have to get a Bachelors in college, and it is a competitive field. That's why I will join the Navy for 3 years, and the Navy has the hardest training.

Mason:

Do be mindful that when you join the military, the military basically owns you. They can send you into combat situations. Get you killed. You can't up and quit after entry just because you don't like it.

Judging from what I've heard from some people who've been in the military, what you're told when they're recruiting you and what you'll actually get stuck doing may not be the same thing. Be very skeptical about any unwritten 'understandings' about the role you will play.

I'm not anti-military, and consider the U.S. military critically important to the long-term well-being of this country. But I want people who consider going in to do so eyes wide open.

Richard.

Mason:

Do be mindful that when you join the military, the military basically owns you. They can send you into combat situations. Get you killed. You can't up and quit after entry just because you don't like it.

Judging from what I've heard from some people who've been in the military, what you're told when they're recruiting you and what you'll actually get stuck doing may not be the same thing. Be very skeptical about any unwritten 'understandings' about the role you will play.

I'm not anti-military, and consider the U.S. military critically important to the long-term well-being of this country. But I want people who consider going in to do so eyes wide open.

Richard.

Yes, I know. You are locked into whatever contract you signed (1 year, 2 year, etc). And the death rate is very very low. I'm confident I want to start off doing 3 years in the Navy (split it up into 3 different 1 year contracts) and if I enjoy it, I will make it a job. The Navy Seals are the best armed force group in the world, and they are always on missions on taking out the baddest guys in the middle east. Similar to the FBI, except they are taking down the baddest US civilians.

I've never heard of a one year tour in the Navy, all of the ones when I was in were 6. I guess you learn something new every day.

I've never heard of a one year tour in the Navy, all of the ones when I was in were 6. I guess you learn something new every day.

I went rooting around looking for it, but didn't find it. 6 year for some specialties, read Nuc, 4 year regular hitch, it said some exceptions so they may still have kiddie cruises. ( https://www.navy.com/joining/ways-to-join/never-served.html#ft-qualifications-&-commitment)

Also a National Call to Service (NCS) which is a 2 year, actually 15 months active after your school and then a 24 month reserve obligation. (Navy Two Year Enlistment Program)

There was no reenlistment under 2 years. (http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...n/1000/1100Recruitinig/Documents/1160-030.pdf)

When I was enlisted ('65) there were men drafted into the Navy, but that's another story.

And don't forget you still have "Upon completion of service obligation, Sailors may remain in the selected reserve or transfer to the individual ready reserve for the remainder of an eight-year national commitment.", up two from the 6 year national commitment back in the '60's.

Bob

Point is, whether you're active for 3+5, 4+4, or 4+a lifetime for officers, there aren't any 1, 2, or 3 year contracts. When I was in (Nuke) it was 4+2, but you were obligated for the other 2 active as soon as you finished Nuke School. You could get out of the 2 by reenlisting for 4. Which I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom