Marines "thrashed"...why do they Puke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat:
It's not a run if you don't puke!!!

Puking! It's what separates the real exercise nuts from the merely nuts. Yesterday, at my fitness club I did my madman stairclimber routine and held my heartbeat in the 170-175 range for 30 mins and then went outside and puked. Ahhh! Life is good.:D

The only time that I've puked during any type of exercise was when I was dehydrated or had an empty stomach. So possibly a lack of fluids and/or vitamins?

catherine96821:
funny how that works, eh?

I am proud too. JB with his whole battalion is conducting war games today at Ft Polk, an Army base in LA. (The desert is FULL, evidently!) He was told that his battery was the ONLY battery to ever accomplish the mission they conducted today...they have towns set up and civilian "enemies" trying to trip them up, ambush them, etc.
He was very proud, I guess multiple combat deployments are good for experience, at least, and that is worth a lot when you are in charge of these young guys. It all sounds very interesting, I love all the stories.

I am always interested in the "facilities" where they sleep, etc.

So..they have full time civillian employees whose jobs it is to play war and strategize every day. I never knew that.

There are companies out there who can provide fully vetted actors of any ethnicity for versimilitude in CI training

You are dead on with the fight or flight response as a partial reason for puking; the adrenals dump all sorts of junk into the body, as another poster mentioned blood goes off everywhere, the stomach muscles contract much more than normal, and leaving out technobabble "adrenaline pools in the stomach" causing nausea, and vomiting.

I, too, have personal experience with statements such as:"Run him 'till he pukes, then run him until I puke..." that was a long long day...

I am not sure if being so tough on soldiers is a good thing. They did a study at marine basic camp years ago, showing the ones enrolled in a rigorous course did no better than one more humane in performance.

I am just glad I was not in the marines, and certainly would discourage others from joining. I personally took care of a "code red" type of thing, this poor soldier was beaten up under a blanket tried to commit suicide for shame.

Found out in the psych ward that he had a bleeding ulcer and his hct was under 20 (I can't remember the number, but it was amazingling low - he adapted well). Apparently he didn't know... It is probably not marine like to go to sick call. I discharged him from Tripler with a clear record and a chance to return to the service... He said, heck no. And I don't blame him.

onfloat:
minor "pet peeve"

It's "Marine" not marine.

Just like when you tell the navy guys you liked his boat, eh?

fisherdvm:
I am not sure if being so tough on soldiers is a good thing. They did a study at marine basic camp years ago, showing the ones enrolled in a rigorous course did no better than one more humane in performance.

It is not about beating them down because they want to, it is about grinding away the exterior that is flawed, much like a diamond, to get it to shine like it should. I am in the army guard When I went through basic I felt my platoon had it "easy". When I saw other platoons screw up and get thrashed I was glad it wasn't me. . . . Looking back though I look at my training and realize that the platoons that got thrashed were very cohesive units and probably will do better then anyone in my platoon. . . My G/F's brother is in the Marine Corps, When he was in high school he was as nerdy as they came, got out of high school joined the USMC has gained so much self confidence it is unbelievable. . .

fisherdvm:
I am just glad I was not in the marines, and certainly would discourage others from joining. I personally took care of a "code red" type of thing, this poor soldier was beaten up under a blanket tried to commit suicide for shame.

Found out in the psych ward that he had a bleeding ulcer and his hct was under 20 (I can't remember the number, but it was amazingly low - he adapted well). Apparently he didn't know... It is probably not marine like to go to sick call. I discharged him from Tripler with a clear record and a chance to return to the service... He said, heck no. And I don't blame him.

BTW thats called a blanket party. . . did you ask him what he did to deserve that? I admit we beat the snot out of a guy because he was a screw up . . . after that he was the most squared away soldier in our platoon. . . OHH yeah not saying beating the snot out of him was the right thing but usually there are a series of events leading up to it. . .

The military is not for everyone, and each branch is not right for everyone. Thats why I joined the Field Artillery so I could drive everywhere :D

Having served in the Marines for 8 years I know a bit about this subject, I have ran many 10 mile run's and did more PT in extreme weather conditions than I care to remember and never once puked, the only time I ever came close to hurling my guts during excersise was due to excesive alchohol consumption. My bet is those guy's probably drank straight tequila the night before.

onfloat:
minor "pet peeve"

It's "Marine" not marine.
Nothing minor about that!
As for running and puking, I avoid both.
Running's bad for the joints; puking's bad for the esophagus.
Swim :)
Rick

jhbryaniv:
BTW thats called a blanket party. . . did you ask him what he did to deserve that? I admit we beat the snot out of a guy because he was a screw up . . . after that he was the most squared away soldier in our platoon. . . OHH yeah not saying beating the snot out of him was the right thing but usually there are a series of events leading up to it. . .

Blanket party?? Boy oh boy, sounds like fun.

The dude did fine in basic camp, but can't keep up after his first month or so in Hawaii, so they beat him up for being a sissy. He probably threw up too many times.

I think I almost puked once in a run, but it was pooring rain and cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom